Oil pressure

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Oil pressure

Post by Guest »

what could be causing my oil pressure to go all the way up. it usally does it when my car is at low rpms

Oil pressure

Post by Guest »

Could be a bad oil pressure sending unit

Oil pressure

Post by Guest »

Yep, I'd say your sending unit is bad.  Mine went bad...so bad in fact that oil was shooting right through it into the electrical connector.  It cost me around $18-25 from Pep Boys and was very simple to replace.  It's right on the front side of the engine.

The body of the unit should be larger than the nut so you can't use a socket to remove it.  You're lucky if you can a wrench in there.  So you can just unscrew it by gripping the body of the unit with channel-lock pliers an turning...you'll be tossing it anyway.  The new one, if aftermarket, should have a body smaller than the nut so you can fit a socket over the whole thing and screw it in that way.  Plug in the connector and you're good to go.  Hope this is helpful.

Mike
<

Oil pressure

Post by Guest »

I've assumed you have a 6 cylinder engine...if it's a 4 I'm not sure where it's located but I'd think it would be the same type of unit.  

Mike
<

Chris88CL

Oil pressure

Post by Chris88CL »

On the quad its located in the head.  Not sure about the 2.0/2.2.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Oil pressure

Post by Guest »

yeah its a 6 thanks i gotta to autozone now and get one

Oil pressure

Post by Guest »

I'd suggest getting the right socket, or it'll be a nightmare to get the sender out.  At least it was for me.

If the sender on the car is original, it'll be all metal with just a plastic connector on the end for the plug.  You'll need a 1-3/16" oil pressure sender socket.  A standard deep socket won't fit.  Even with the special socket, you'll probably have to snap the plastic part off to get to the nut.

The new sender will be 1-1/16", and you'll need another socket to get that one on.  It'll be a little easier, since the sender will fit properly inside the socket.

Try to get the auto parts store to loan you one or both sockets, since you'll probably never need them again.  I ended up having to buy both of the *$% things.  

-Dave