Headliner

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Headliner

Post by Guest »

The headliner in my car is BAD.  I want to go to a fabric store and buy new material.  But I do not know how to take the headliner off.  How do you get the trim off, if you have to.  Also, how would I go about attaching the new material to the headliner itself.  Do you think I should buy a thin pad and attach that first to the headliner and then the materal.  If someone has done this, please help.. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Headliner

Post by Guest »

Make sure you use headliner material. It already has the foam padding built in. I used 3M spray adhesive to attach it to headliner mold. Worked for me. As for the trim, it would be hard for me to explain. The back quarter panel piece is tricky.

Headliner

Post by Guest »

Any info on the trim would be helpful.  And where do you buy the material with the foam, can you name the store.

Chris88CL

Headliner

Post by Chris88CL »

You dont NEED the headliner material. I just used plain fabric on mine.  The biggest issue is getting all the old deteriorating foam off the headliner before you try attaching the new fabric.  If you dont get it off then you'll have the same problem in a couple months.
The foam gets old and rots and literally just falls apart.  Thats whats causing your headliner to sag.  I used a snow brush to brush off the excess foam but it was VERY MESSY.  I suggest doing it somewhere thats easy to vacuum

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

ErichZ26

Headliner

Post by ErichZ26 »

Why would you not want to use headliner?  Its a sound deadener?     I use brush on stuff, the sprays have not proven to adhere as well, and are slightly more messy.   Countertop laminate glue works REALLY well.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26

Headliner

Post by Guest »

Yes, but do you take the headliner off, or do you put the new material on in the car.  I would think that you would take the headliner off, But I do not know how.  Does anyone know the steps to take the headliner out and put it back in.

Headliner

Post by Guest »

Quote Any info on the trim would be helpful.  And where do you buy the material with the foam, can you name the store. I went to an auto upholstry shop, paid $30. for like 3 yards or so, and it was original type stuff, color, foam, texture. Quote Does anyone know the steps to take the headliner out and put it back in. You have to remove visors, dome lights, and all edge trimings. There is industrial strength type velcro in the frt, rear and both sides. you have to be careful or you will tear the headlining backing. If the backing breaks, you have to use fibre glass resin, coat the BACK (side that faces the roof) of the backing once(it soaks it right up) when dried, do it again, the 2nd time stiffens it. You also might find it comes out of the car better with removing the rt frt seat and taking it out that door. Autozone sells the 3m super trim adheasive, works fantastic, but you can only apply it is small area's at a time. The general adheasive bites, and won't hold long.

Headliner

Post by Guest »

After I remove the headliner, can I reuse the factory velco to hold the headliner up again.

Headliner

Post by Guest »

Quote (oo7ma @ June 15 2002,11:46)After I remove the headliner, can I reuse the factory velco to hold the headliner up again.
You basically have to. personally, since you haven't done one yet, go to a j/y, and try a few of theirs to get the hang of it. I like using the plier like tool they use that removes the pop on side mldg's or int trim panels, this works best for me, but a 1 1/2" wide bladed putty knife may work better for you. Keep in mind, the headliner is very fragile, and the velcro is stapled on to it, and is easy to break off.

Headliner

Post by Guest »

Well, today I bought the new material from a store.  It has the foam backing attached to the material.  But, as I was looking in my car, I noticed that near the front window, the headliner was a little damp, there must be a small water leak.  Does anyone know if this is a problem with beretta, or just mine.

Headliner

Post by Guest »

Ok, mine is sagging too, just started this week .  Just wondering, what's it cost to just have a shop do it, and should there be some kind of warranty involved?

BerettaGT 1990

Headliner

Post by BerettaGT 1990 »

But, as I was looking in my car, I noticed that near the front window, the headliner was a little damp, there must be a small water leak.  Does anyone know if this is a problem with beretta, or just mine.

My car has a bad water leak in the headliner.  Evidentally, my car had a factory sunroof, and someone busted it out, and the glass stopped up the drainage ducts or whatever and caused water to back up into my headliner. I guess they just put an aftermarket sunroof in it's place. That's my best guess.  I'm not sure if it's a widespread problem with Berettas or not though.  Just sharing my problems.  LoL

Headliner

Post by Guest »

Do you know how to take the trim around the back windows off, it's just the two screws on the hanger holder.  And how do you get the trim around the front window off??

Headliner

Post by Guest »

If it's a 1 piece side in the back seat, you have to take the back seat out. But to answer your Q, same as the door trim, uses trim clips like the doors. the lower back seat cushion has 2 bolt at the seat/floorline that have to come out first.