No spark?

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

No spark?

Post by Guest »

Alright, guess I got my problem figured out...Its definatly the comptuer. I stole the computer off my '90 GTZ Quad4, after studieing the wireing diagrams for a while, decided it would work. Well, not work to run the engine, but atleast give me spark. And it did. Tried her out this morning and boom, got spark! So, NAPA has a remanufactured unit on hand for $125, so I'm gonna head down now and buy it. I know I could save alot over the net, but I don't want to wait another day to get the #### thing running. Thanks!

No spark?

Post by Guest »

Well ####! I got the new computer, go it hooked up. Finally we have spark! But the car still does not start. It backfires out the intake alot when I try starting fluid, so much you can see a huge fireball when it does. Any ideas on whats going on now? This sucks!

No spark?

Post by Guest »

I'm guessing timeing chain now. How can I check it?

I also came up with another off the top of my head but seems logical ideas during dinner tonight. OK. I installed new lifters...They were not pumped up at all. I put the pushrods in there, and tightened the rocker arm nuts up until there was no play and then another full turn. Now I'm thinking since they are now pumped up, that they may be holding the valves open a bit and allowing the backfire out of the intake to happen. They car doesn't even sound like its trying to run at all, even with starting fluid it doesn't seem to be trying to start...So does this idea seem logical or stupid? Thanks

rweatherford

No spark?

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (Sean89GTU @ April 06 2002,8:11)I'm guessing timeing chain now. How can I check it?

I also came up with another off the top of my head but seems logical ideas during dinner tonight. OK. I installed new lifters...They were not pumped up at all. I put the pushrods in there, and tightened the rocker arm nuts up until there was no play and then another full turn. Now I'm thinking since they are now pumped up, that they may be holding the valves open a bit and allowing the backfire out of the intake to happen. They car doesn't even sound like its trying to run at all, even with starting fluid it doesn't seem to be trying to start...So does this idea seem logical or stupid? Thanks
It's worth a try.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

No spark?

Post by Guest »

make sense big guy--also make sure you have the pushrods in the right place as they are different lenghts for the intake and exhaust. IT definetely sound slike the valves are staying open.

No spark?

Post by Guest »

Its not looking good so far. First off I loosened all the arms a 1/2 turn. Still nothing. So I loosened them all completly and re-lashed. Nothing...Still backfires out the intake when I use starting fluid. Is there any mark on the crank pully or anything I can use to check the crank/cam timeing for sure, before I dive in taking the timeing chain cover off? Also, how much is a new timeing chain setup going to cost? Thanks for the help!