No spark?

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

No spark?

Post by Guest »

Alright, I just finished up my upper end rebuild on my GTU '89 Beretta. I tried starting it tonight, and ended up haveing no spark. I know this car has a bit of a screwed up wireing job, but everything else seems to work correctly. I would just like to know what all I should check before assuming its the DIS coil gone bad. So what fuse/fuseable link or anything contols the pack? Thanks

No spark?

Post by Guest »

start by making sure you have power to the ECM, and a signal from the crank sensor--tehn make sure all your grounds are in place and go from there

rweatherford

No spark?

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (Sean89GTU @ April 02 2002,10:21)Alright, I just finished up my upper end rebuild on my GTU '89 Beretta. I tried starting it tonight, and ended up haveing no spark. I know this car has a bit of a screwed up wireing job, but everything else seems to work correctly. I would just like to know what all I should check before assuming its the DIS coil gone bad. So what fuse/fuseable link or anything contols the pack? Thanks
If you also have no fuel injector signal then I would suspect the CPS.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

No spark?

Post by Guest »

I haven't checked fuel injector power yet....I will pick up a test light today and check it out. However, something to note, when I turn the key to on, without the car running (obviously) I get no check engine light. but, when I'm cranking the engine over the check engine light sometimes comes on, but it blinks on a off (not really a pattern, more like an error) Shouldn't the engine light be on in the run position with the engine off? This would indicate no power to the computer right? Thanks

No spark?

Post by Guest »

Well, it appears there is no power to the computer. What could be causeing this now? Which fuse controls it?

No spark?

Post by Guest »

Alright, I checked fuses 1 and 9 (power to the ECM) and neither were getting power. So just to test it I hot wired power to those terminals. The Check engine light now comes on as does the fuel pump. However, I still get no spark. I haven't checked the fuel injecotors yet, but there is definatly no spark still.

No spark?

Post by Guest »

OK, another break thru...Fuel Injectors are getting power and fireing. Coil however is not...I notice a tan w/black strip wire, term. a on the connector to the coil, that I would assume to be the power wire correct? I tried useing a jumper wire and routing power to it, since I checked and its not getting power, but still no spark. With all this crap I'v posted I assume someone can help me narrow this problem down pretty easily now, so let me know, I'm getting anxious to get it running.

Whew, atleast my engine looks good! Actually its dark now so the picture doesn't do the engine any justice, and it looks alot better in good light. But here she is:

No spark?

Post by Guest »

how much did you modify the harness??? what did you take out of the harness??? Have you checked the fusible links by the starter and relay center on your firewall??It sounds like a fusible link problem

No spark?

Post by Guest »

I have not modified the harness or any wireing at all. Anything that has been changed was done by the previous owner, not me. There is a fuseable link burnt out, but I put a fused test wire in its place to see if that was the problem, and it doesn't seem to make a difference either way. Any specific ones I should be looking at? What wire on the coil should have power when the key is on? Thanks

No spark?

Post by Guest »

Well, Checked and come to find out the coil IS getting power form the battery. However its still not fireing...Any Ideas? Perhaps no output from the computer? Or simply bad coil pack? Thanks

Chris88CL

No spark?

Post by Chris88CL »

ICM

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@Hotmail.com

No spark?

Post by Guest »

I agree sound slike the module has checked out permanently

No spark?

Post by Guest »

Well, went out and bought another ICM assembly today for $70, installed it, and still no spark! What the hell is up with this ####? I'm sick of this peice of crap car already and I haven't even driven it yet! What else could it be? These nothing else possible!

Chris88CL

No spark?

Post by Chris88CL »

Did you ever check the crankshaft position sensor after it was mentioned??
If you dont mind, could you give a complete rundown of exactly what the symptoms are and list ALL the work that you have done to the car so far.  Im starting to get lost with all the posts and I dont want to miss anything.  I read it all over again but I just want to make sure so you dont waste anymore money.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

No spark?

Post by Guest »

Alright. I bought the car with the engine already half way taken apart. I was told it had a craked head. So I took the heads off and replaced the one craked one, reassemebled the engine as you see it in the above picture. Tried starting it and no spark. I checked fuses 1 and 9 which are both computer power fuse (among other things) Niether of the fuses were getting power. (I also had no check engine light = no computer power) So I ran a jumper wire to the 1 and 9 fuses and gave them power from an ignition switched source. Got the check engine light to come on. Checked the fuel injectors and they are fireing. Checked power to the coil and its gettting battery 12v power and good ground. Checked and I am getting AC voltage from the crank position sensor. But still no spark. The only thing left for me to change was the coil pack/ICM assembly, so I switched it out today and still nothing.

I'm now almost sure the ECM is screwing up. I would like to know what wires on the 5 wire (i think) connector to the coil should be getting power and how much power when the ignition is on and maybe we can go from there if the coil is not getting a computer signal (which I'm almost sure it is not). There was a fuseable link burned out on the firewall, a red one, but I jumped it with a fused wire and that circut is getting power now also. LMK What you think may be wrong now...Thanks