Fuel pressure regulator

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Fuel pressure regulator

Post by Guest »

i finally got around to replacing my FPR in my 90 GT, i pulled the plenum off and go to the rails, and i unbolted the rail and pulled the fpr off, i put my other one on and bolted it back up. but when i prime the system it gushes fuel out. i pulled it back apart and found its leaking where it seals to the rail, so i tried to bolt it back up to where it wont leak again but it still does. any tips/tricks to getting this thing not to leak? the chiltons doesnt help much.
Thanks
QuasarCorsica

GTPrix

Fuel pressure regulator

Post by GTPrix »

Did you install all the new O rings that it came with?

Where did you get the new FPR from?

TurboGTU

Fuel pressure regulator

Post by TurboGTU »

Did you put new rubber o-rings in? Did you lubricate the o-rings with oil so they can slip in easily without getting pinched and streached caused by forceing it in?
That might be your  problem.

BTW.. some times people think their fuel pressure regulator is bad cuz of low fuel pressure, when most of the time it's the fuel pulsator(canistor looking thing) in the fuel tank , right above the fuel pump. Some fuel pump kits omit the pulsator and use a hose with two clamps insted.. Those fuel pulsators are crap. They leak fuel only in a few months or years, somethimes when they are new. Did you check on that or are you just replacing your FPR cuz it looked bad?

Hope this helps.

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.
GTPrix

Fuel pressure regulator

Post by GTPrix »

Also make sure that the threads on the ends of the fuel lines aren't stripped.
Sometimes it's hard to get the rails in perfectly straight, since they don't give..so that would strip the fuel line real quick...and/or the insides of the FPR itself.

Fuel pressure regulator

Post by Guest »

well, its not exactly new, i pulled it from a dead 2.8 i had. it did have o-rings and the one i pulled out still has its o-rings attached. i just ill have to pull it out and check to see whats up, maybe i need new o-rings.
thanks
QuasarCorsica

GTPrix

Fuel pressure regulator

Post by GTPrix »

Always replace every single O ring.
O rings are a use once and replace kind of thing....just like every other gasket.

spacecadetz26

Fuel pressure regulator

Post by spacecadetz26 »

i use vasoline to lube my orings!!! btw the oring kit is like $12 from the dealer.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package

Fuel pressure regulator

Post by Guest »

found the problem, torn o-ring replaced it with another one and now it doesnt leak fuel.
Thanks everyone.
QuasarCorsica