'94 base

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

'94 base

Post by Guest »

i just installed a tach today and when it idles it is around 400RPM  and the highest it got up to when i accelerated was 2200RPM... i have the 2.2 and i was just wondering if this is about right
THanks
Mike

Eway89GT

'94 base

Post by Eway89GT »

you tach has issue's, that a Beretta, not a blender, you car should idle at around 1000 rpms

02 Grand Prix GTP Coupe: Mods:  5% tint, headlight covers, DRL switch, visors, Rims, (gotta have RWL tires), SLP Powerflo exhuast, Wizaird CAI, 3" DP w/o cat, U-bend removed , 180 thermo, 3.4 SC pulley 

'94 base

Post by Guest »

To me it sounds like the tach is about half of what it should be. Like my car idles at around 850 and shifts (under hard acceleration) at about 5200 or so. So if you double the numbers you have up there, there about right. I do have the 3100, so the numbers might not be exactly the same but you get the general idea . It could be the crank sensor or some kind of problem in the wiring from the sensor to the ecm to the guage. Just my thoughts.

'94 base

Post by Guest »

I just read that YOU instaled the tach. On the back of the tach, there is usually a switch or something that says 4-6-8 cylinder. Make sure its on the right setting. My friend did the same thing. He has a six and set it to a 4 and was having the same kind of problem.

'94 base

Post by Guest »

i'll have to look at that tomorrow when i'm at work (nice heated garage)  but i'm pretty sure it is on the 4 cyl...