92 quad 4 transmission

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

Hey everyone, due to recent motor mount failures, I now (once again) have a loose bolt on my tranny mount going into the housing.  I found it while just poking aroung and making sure everything was nice and tight.  Well, the housing busted off around the bolt hole that I had fixed once before, but the motor mount caused it to break again.  Instead of having it fixed again, I decided to just go through with getting the 92 transmission which has the better gearing.  So, do all 92 quad 4 5 speeds have the trans I want or is it only the 92 gtz's.  My guess is that all of them do, but i'm not sure.  If i got one from another car would there be anything special i'd need to do to get it to work?  And last, what other years had this trans?  I think 93 and 94 did, but again, i'm not sure.  Thanks.

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

I found in the performance section, and I believe it's correct, regarding your Question, the thread is titled, Tranny questions, (ctrl, alt, dlt) the last post give the answers.  

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

all quad 4's came with the getrag transmission so to answer your question yes all gtz transmissions are the same.you could even go with the muncie tranny which is another great tranny which came in the all 2.8 and 3.1 but don't get a tranny from any four cylinder they came with the isuzu tranny and if wouldn't be able to handle the about of power and torque that the 2.3 produces.

warren

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

I was actually referring to the Quad 4 trannies only.  Everyone knows the 92 gtz has a better gearing ratio then the 90.  What i want to know is do the 92 grand am's with the HO quad 4 have the same 5 speed transmission as the 92 GTZ's had, for an example.  I'd never go isuzu

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

Yes, all HO Quads across the board shared the same transmission EXCEPT the Olds Achieva SCX with had the best of the lot (and the W41 HO  Quad)......The SCX's got the improved 3.94 axle ratio and slight reshuffling of the 1st 4 gears like all Quad trannies, but kept the .81 5th (same as 90 and 91 trannies) for an excellent top speed, whereas all the rest went to a fuel saver .72.....put it this way, Achievas have horrible aerodynamics (unlike Berettas), and while an Achieva SC (with HO Quad and .72 5th) can only run 120mph, an SCX can pull to 130mph due to the higher rpm it's at (now imagine what a GTZ could pull with it's better aerodynamics......135mph for sure).

RebelGT

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by RebelGT »

didn't the olds 442 have the same tranny as the SCX with the internal slave cylinder?

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

sweet, I doubt that I'll ever find an Acheiva SCX in a j/y, but that's good to know if i do come across one someday.  You have answered my question, Thanks

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

Quote (RebelGT @ Nov. 12 2002,4:56)didn't the olds 442 have the same tranny as the SCX with the internal slave cylinder?
I think the newer trannys have the internal. Somewhere around 92-92.5.

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

umm, WOOHOO, I found a 92 acheiva SCX!  I will be stopping by there when they are open to see what all they have.  Might get some camshafts to sell on here too.  I would use them, but they wouldn't work as good as a custom grind would with the S/C.  If they have them, i'll get them.

So, about that transmission...  Would it be hard to install since it has the internal slave cylinder?

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

Um...it'll bolt right up, BUT you'll have to switch to the newer style slave cylinder etc.

My friend Leighton tried this with his '90 GTZ, and ended up giving up because we were going to the dragstrip the next day......then his engine blew, so it never got done........but I DO know that it's not just a plug and play deal.

While you're doing the swapping with the SCX, grab the ECU (al of it) to go with the cams. Otherwise you'll end up shifting just as you hit peak power........they need the extra 250rpm up top for more performance.

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

I won't be using the cams, just getting them so I can post them in the for sale section.  If the buyer wants the ECU, I can probably get it too.

As far as switching to the newer style slave cylinder, is that something that would come with the transmission?  Sorry, i really don't know much about trannies.

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

If you still want help doing this-PM me, since I'm the only one on this board who has successfully done this swap....

rweatherford

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (BIGBULS @ Nov. 12 2002,4:30)Yes, all HO Quads across the board shared the same transmission EXCEPT the Olds Achieva SCX with had the best of the lot (and the W41 HO  Quad)......The SCX's got the improved 3.94 axle ratio and slight reshuffling of the 1st 4 gears like all Quad trannies, but kept the .81 5th (same as 90 and 91 trannies) for an excellent top speed, whereas all the rest went to a fuel saver .72.....put it this way, Achievas have horrible aerodynamics (unlike Berettas), and while an Achieva SC (with HO Quad and .72 5th) can only run 120mph, an SCX can pull to 130mph due to the higher rpm it's at (now imagine what a GTZ could pull with it's better aerodynamics......135mph for sure).
My GTZ pulled 135 MPH with the crappy 5th gear.  Before the turbo.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

thanks for the offer mxc, but the scx has already been raped  

92 quad 4 transmission

Post by Guest »

Quote (gtzpower @ Dec. 04 2002,3:36)thanks for the offer mxc, but the scx has already been raped ÂÂÂ
Keep looking I'm sure you'll find another.  I searched for about a year and a half for my tranny.  It came out of a 94 Grand Am GT.  I paid $225 for the tranny  and all the odds and ends you need for a bolt-in swap.