3.4 twin cam 5spd

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by Guest »

I was just looking around EBAY and i saw a GP it was a 3.4 twin cam with a five-speed. would that trans bolt up to the 3100 since they are both OHC motors? just a thought to poke around with

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by Guest »

Uhm no.

#1 the 3.4 is not  an OHC engine it's a DOHC, much like the quad 4.

#2 NO it will not bolt up. different bolt patterns, set up for far different engines. a 2.8/3.1 tranny will bolt up, but not to the frame of the beretta. Welding is required.

Might want to read up on different motors so you get the facts first  

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by Guest »

Maybe if you would have read my post right the first time IT WAS A QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!! and by OHC, i was meaning that they were both over-head cam engines, i wasnt specifying how many cams each had.

ErichZ26

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by ErichZ26 »

The MT 284 will bolt up to your 3100, the tranny is very special.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by Guest »

And 3100s aren't OHC, single double or otherwise

Canada

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by Canada »

The 3100 is an OHV engine, not cam....it has pushrods (12), and a cam.

The 3.4L DOHC has 4 cams and 24 valves.

That 5 speed used there was never used with any other motor. Very rare.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by Guest »

I thought the bellhousing on the 3.4 tranny's have a wierd shape to them, that was engine specific.... Is a 3.4 tranny more likley to have closer mounts then the Muncie?

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by Guest »

Quote (nfg2003 @ Mar. 12 2003,00:28)Maybe if you would have read my post right the first time IT WAS A QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!! and by OHC, i was meaning that they were both over-head cam engines, i wasnt specifying how many cams each had.
Temper, Temper. I'm afraid we did read the post correctly, 3.1, 3100, etc are not over head cam motors, a 3.4 does have an over head cam. Pat, the trans should fit.....if it were an auto bolted up there for instance, it would be a 4T60E, in both cases, the 3.4 or the 3100.

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by Guest »

The 284 will bolt up to any 60 Degree V6.  It does have a special bell housing in the fact that it is VERY VERY small -- the gear housing is MUCH bigger on the 284 since it's so much beefier, so the bellhousing has to be very short to fit in the same space as a 282. ÂÂÂ

They use a "pull type" clutch, which is VERY expensive (the clutchmaster stage 3 is over $1000) - they are also NON servicable by anyone but Getrag, so if it ever goes bad, plan on $2300 for a rebuild by Getrag.

And what the hell is this "welding is required" crap Pat?  You don't have to weld anything to get a tranny to fit on any motor -- Perhaps YOU should research your engines a little more before you call people out  

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by Guest »

The motor mounts from a 3100 auto to the 3100 manual is what I was refering to.

So the mounts will need to be WELDED into place..

doughboy1013

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by doughboy1013 »

here's another thought... would the engine mounts for the 3.4 be similar to a 3.1/3100?  my friend and I have been tossing around the idea of throwing one in a beretta in the far future.  There was a 2.8 block lying around to compare it to, but back in october this thought, and the beretta, were not with us.  The 3.4 would bolt up to a beretta-stock 282, so could it be possible?

Almost funny.  Almost.
TurboGTU

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by TurboGTU »

Yes the trans can bolt up , you need everything from that trans/car though(flywheel, pressureplate,disk,fork,cables ect..).

Yes the 3.4 can fit ,but know that the 3400 is a FWD and the 3.4 is RWD. I think to make the 3.4 FWD you will need to tap and thread in new bolt holes for the starter since RWD had them on the other side. THen just bolt up your FWD accesoris and mounts.

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.
TurboGTU

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by TurboGTU »

And yes on the trans mount. You will have to cut the auto mount off and install a early beretta mount to it since the back part of the m-trans sticks slightly out of the fender wall where the early mount used to be.

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by Guest »

Quote Yes the 3.4 can fit ,but know that the 3400 is a FWD and the 3.4 is RWD. You may want to reconsider this statement before everyone jumps all over you for it. No, a 3.4 dohc will not fit in the engine compartment.  No, the mountings are different, and won't fit. And finally, a 3.4 dohc is NOT a rwd.

RebelGT

3.4 twin cam 5spd

Post by RebelGT »

a 3.4 dohc will work in a RWD configuration