Head liner

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Head liner

Post by Guest »

Can someone plaese tell me how to fix my headliner, it is starting to come off. There are no rips in it. I just want to reattach it.
thanks

BerettaSS

Head liner

Post by BerettaSS »

It doesn't work taht easily really.  unless you want to just use thumb tacks to hold it up the only real fix is to hav ethe liner material replaced.  depanding on where you go this will be anywhere from $60-100.

stang&2Birds

Head liner

Post by stang&2Birds »

If it's not that bad, you can get some spray on adhesive.  TRY to get one WITH A TUBE!  Then, use some straight pins to hod the liner in while the glue drys.  I suggest using latex gloves to keep your hands "gunk free" while holding the liner after it was sprayed.  

IF YOU CATCH IT SOON ENOUGH, it's no big deal.  It happened on both my Olds in the back.  You CAN see difference in where the spray adhesive was used.  But, I had less than 1" in the back coming off, so no one even sees it.

If you can get a helper with some "fine wood rods" (Home Depot)  to hold the liner up after you spray, it makes putting in the straight pins much easier.  I did both by myself.  The 2nd time I used the wood rods instead of my hands to hold the liner and then put in the pins.

You can take the pins out afterwards.  Get the pins with the round plastic heads.  I've also seen some "screw in" headliner holders at Autozone etc.  They have a plastic "small flower design like head" and have a cork screw end.  You screw those into the headlines and then into the cardboard backing to hold up the liner.  I don't know if they still sell them.  I used those for a while on my dad's Cutlass.  The spray on adhesive didn't work on his car.

Or.... just replace the liner with an after market one.  I like the factory one better (as long as it stays in place )

Joe -- 94 Olds Achieva Quad 4 HO ; 92 Olds Achieva Quad 4 SOHC; '69 Firebird 350 ; '77 Olds Cutlass (Yes, I have *4* GM cars. ).  86 TBird & 86 Mustang GT with Cobra brakes & ABS.
FREE Pace Calculator program for running/walking/etc
ErichZ26

Head liner

Post by ErichZ26 »

It will fall from 2 ways, either the glue comes undone from a REDONE, or the foam is shot.  Once the foam is shot there really is no point, you should pull it out and strip it and get a new piece on it.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26

Head liner

Post by Guest »

the foam is ok, its just hanging a bit in the middle just behind the dome light, to look at it you cant tell but when diving the wind makes it move so i know its loose can i make a few pin holes and spray glue in that way and tack it up or not?

stang&2Birds

Head liner

Post by stang&2Birds »

Yup.  Like Eric said, once the Foam starts to *crumble*, it's just about hopeless.  That's what happened to my Dad's Cutlass.  On my both my Olds, the headliner just came loose from the glue.

Try the glue first.  Nothing really to loose by trying (except ~$2->5 for spray adhesive ).

Joe -- 94 Olds Achieva Quad 4 HO ; 92 Olds Achieva Quad 4 SOHC; '69 Firebird 350 ; '77 Olds Cutlass (Yes, I have *4* GM cars. ).  86 TBird & 86 Mustang GT with Cobra brakes & ABS.

Head liner

Post by Guest »

Quote (wxmyjnsn @ Aug. 24 2002,10:02)the foam is ok, its just hanging a bit in the middle just behind the dome light, to look at it you cant tell but when diving the wind makes it move so i know its loose can i make a few pin holes and spray glue in that way and tack it up or not?
I'm puzzled at how it could be determined that your foam is ok, without taking the headliner down. You wust be talking about the headliner backing, that the material is glued too. The material is attatched to foam, then the headliner assy, is then glued to the backing that is a pre-formed material. Most likely the headliner is original, I would bet the foam is history. I went to an upholstry shop, ordered what I needed, and cost me $30 bucks.  

stang&2Birds

Head liner

Post by stang&2Birds »

In my dad's Cutlass, just *touching* the foam would make it crumble.  In my 2 Old's, and a friend's Chevy, the foam looked and felt fine.  It's just that the fabric came loose.

ErichZ26

Head liner

Post by ErichZ26 »

the indy's foam is ok, the sunroof was replaced 3 years ago and the headlinder was done, the car was in storage for 1.5 years.. the glue just came un done.   I made a general post before.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26

Head liner

Post by Guest »

I would just take the headliner out and recover it. Most major fabirc places carry it in stock and the adhesive is about 5$ a can. Pick up a copy of High Perfromance Pontiac Magazine for August..the it details what is entailed in replacing a headliner

Head liner

Post by Guest »

I took my old headliner out and recovered it.  It was about $30-35 dollars for the material (which comes it a number of colors) and the glue.  It was real easy, let me know if you want the web address and so instructions

Head liner

Post by Guest »

I took my old headliner out and recovered it.  It was about $30-35 dollars for the material (which comes it a number of colors) and the glue.  It was real easy, let me know if you want the web address and some instructions