Have a question about  the auto trans

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Post by Guest »

i got a 96 z26 last year and the trans started acting up so the dealer got a used one. put it in. when i did a trans service i got the filter for a z26. but it was the wrong one. so i sent someone to the store with the one i pulled out. it was a filter from a normal beretta.

now my question is, having this transmission in my car, is it affecting my speedo and odometer? the reason is i got 16s on the car now. i think the normal berettas were 14s. so if i am correct the trans is geared differently.

i would go and ask the dealer but i bought it a year ago and noticed the problem in september  just before i put it up.

any help would be appreciated.

Post by Guest »

I would imagein even if the tranny came out of a car with 14's that the speed sensor from  your old trans would have been used and be giveing you the correct readings. I'm not 100% sure about this, but it seems logical here...

Canada

Post by Canada »

If I remeber my numbers correctly, the tire diameter difference between the 14s and 16s only made a difference of 2-3 mph either way.

And I think Sean89GTU is right here.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Post by Guest »

I believe that trans gears in the 4t60e are all the same.  The difference in height of the tires between the 16' and 14' would only change your Final Drive Ratio (FDR).  But its not a big deal and it wont affect the FDR or the speedo very much if any.  BTW i was unaware that the trans filter is different for the Z26 and base?

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

I think the parts store just made a mistake.  Both the base and the Z26 use the 4t60 as long as its the 3100.  They probably gave you the filter for a quad 4 Z26 the first time and a base (3100 4t60) the second time.  The gearing in the Z26 is slightly better I believe.  But it wont make a difference with your VSS. Your car just might be SLIGHTLY slower.  Nothing noticeable unless you visit the track often.  The VSS is the same and the overall tire/wheel diameter is the sale so you wont have any problems.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Post by Guest »

so basicly, the only possible way for the filter to be mixed up is if they looked for the quad 4 motor?

cause i remember telling them it was for a z26 with the 3100 motor.

when my friend went to the store they looked it up again and it came back to the same filter we just had. so they looked it up as a beretta with i am guessing the quad 4 motor. pulled that one and it matched the one i pulled out of my trans.

oh well i think this trans is on its way out anyways. just before i put it up for winter i punched it (long story behind that one) and i could hear the motor rev but the trans wasnt keeping up.
yes i was already moving .

time to find a cheap extended warranty for motor and trans. i am not paying $1400 if it does go.
and yes before asked i was already moving.

Post by Guest »

Yeah auto-parts stores screw up all the time.  But at least it wasnt a special order F-up.

Post by Guest »

I've yet to understand this, and can only figure that the guy at the store didn't have a clue. 4T60E's, are all the same, with one exception, the valve body and channel plate had a design change for 96 models. The reason you heard the engine rev, is because the trans lost pressure, and the clutch packs couldn't stay applied. As for it being on it's way out, most likely is!  The reason the 4T60E's failed, and I've said this in a post last week, the valve bodies are alum, the valves are steel, the alum wears and allows the fluid to pass, and also allows the pressure to blow past too. When it looses pressure, the clutch packs can't stay applied, and slipping occurrs. The reason it costs so much to rebuild, (1400 is low) is because the valve body needs to be replaced.

Post by Guest »

I'm the one JCZ26 was talkin about when he said he spoke of it in a previous post. As for your question about the tire sizes....the Z-26 in 1996 came factory with 16 in. Unless you or the previous owner changed them from factory, it should have already been 16's. I just completely yanked my 96's transmission. I'm trying to find a replacement for it with a 4t65e instead of the 4t60e. If you have any questions about pulling the tranny yourself, it would save you loads of cash and it has only taken me about 18 hours by myself. I'm not a top notch mechanic but its very simple believe it or not.