How to?

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
KFLO 93 GT

How to?

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

I know where they are and all of that good stuff I just don't know how to change them?  I am pretty sure they are going bad and have been on the downhill for awhile.  It will die sometimes when backing it out of my garage, and just lately it has got some hesitation sometimes when I will go fro ma red light or stop sign.  Sounds like coil packs to me.  To my knowledge they have never been replaced.

So I'm wondering, how do I change em?  And is it just like one big coil pack, or like 3 small coil packs?  And also would I need to go to a gm dealership to get new ones?  Because I know accel ones are bad, and I don't really feel like getting aftermarket ones (Jacobs Electronics) unless they are cheaper.

Thanks for reading my somewhat n00b post, and help would be great.  

93 GTs
Kevskate99

How to?

Post by Kevskate99 »

The coil packs suck to replace, I did mine a few months ago and it took about 1.5 hours to do it (including plugs and wires which is simple). But what I did to make it easier was I took my radiator fan out to get easier access, since the fan has only four simple bolts. Then I took the whole module out, to get at the three coil packs. There are three connectors, one on the left I believe and two on the right looking at it from the front of the car. And there was I beleive three bolts one on each side and one on the middle of the module. Once the connectors were off and the bolts were out I took the whole thing out and replaced the 3 coils. I beleive you need a 7mm socket to get the coils out, cause there is two bolts holding each coil on the module on on top and one on the bottom. Also next time I do mine I'm going to try and just replace each coil one by one without taking the module out, the module sucked to put back in...

88GTRacer

How to?

Post by 88GTRacer »

I guess some people get lucky. ÂÂÂ I removed the radiator assembly, starter, and oil filter to get that damned 3rd bolt on the module .  Autozone sells individual coil packs for $20 bucks each.  And yes, there are 3 coils packs on the ignition module.  88GTRacer

"It is one of the most beautiful shapes on the road. Aero, alluring and very aggressive.
It is a Beretta, the new performance coupe from Chevrolet."

How to?

Post by Guest »

that's why i love my 3100...hehe. 4 bolts...the 2 clips that hold the wiring...disconnect the plug wires and it comes right off

neo8633

How to?

Post by neo8633 »

5.5 mm socket

Todd