4t60-e trannies

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
Z26er

4t60-e trannies

Post by Z26er »

Ok i got a question.. is there a rally version of the 4T60-E transmission? Cuase I've goen through 2 of the normal ones already and was wondering how much a rally version with high end gears would cost. and if i can't get a rally version.. anyone know of any places online where i can buy high performance tranny parts so i can have one rebuilt that WON'T break on me

Boost is addictive, more boost is more addictive
90 TSI FWD: will get fixed someday.. maybe..
86 conquest TSi: The new toy,  boosted RWD is fun.. till you snap lug nut studs although no 1st gear kinda SUCKS!
95 Beretta Z26: i don't think i'll ever get rid of this thing, i've tried already.
nocutt

4t60-e trannies

Post by nocutt »

What are you using the tranny for? I don't understand how you are blowing it?

Z26er

4t60-e trannies

Post by Z26er »

For making my car move.. HOW ELSE!?  i did do some weekend racing with my Z26 too..  And i busted up my differential the first time this time i don't know what all happened but i think i shattered the gears or broke the differential again this time. My old man got me a tranny from a junk yard and i've had nothing but problems with it.. i'm thinking of just putting the old tranny back in .. the only problem i had with that was reverse not working correctly..  And i'm thinking of getting the busted up never had any luck tranny  rebuilt with performance gears..

86 conquest TSi: The new toy,  boosted RWD is fun.. till you snap lug nut studs although no 1st gear kinda SUCKS!
95 Beretta Z26: i don't think i'll ever get rid of this thing, i've tried already.
paintgod93

4t60-e trannies

Post by paintgod93 »

Don't beat on your car.  Z26's are not fast, get over it

1996 zed26 Worst
2000 Katana Better
2006 Gsx-R Best

4t60-e trannies

Post by Guest »

Well you can always dish out some cash and send the tranny to Level 10.But I would say,try to get the 4t60e tranny out of a different car,maybe a Grand Prix,I think.They will have better gear ratios,and a higher stall torque converter.
At expressautoparts.com they have a shift kit available for the 4t60e tranny.I think its 50 bucks,and it changes up to 70 different componets.
Also maybe a tranny cooler is a good idea.Heat is a big enemy of an auto tranny.
Oh yea,Z26s are slow.

4t60-e trannies

Post by Guest »

I also want to add that Nocutt knows his stuff.He has a turbocharged 3800,and he is using the 4t60e I believe.So maybe the 4t60e is not crap after all.

4t60-e trannies

Post by Guest »

Quote try to get the 4t60e tranny out of a different car,maybe a Grand Prix,I think.They will have better gear ratios,and a higher stall torque converter I dont want to burst anyones bubble, but I don't think that's accurate. Erich and I did some reasearch, and the 4t's are the same, any ratio changes had to be made yourself, and some of those parts were interchangable with a 4t65, If memory serves me correctly. Quote And i busted up my differential the first time this time i don't know what all happened but i think i shattered the gears or broke the differential again this timeSounds like the diff retaining pin broke, and the diff pin came out, that happens sometimes to the 4T60E, but more often to the dodge or chrysler caravans, so don't feel so bad. The biggest problem with the 4T60E, is the valve bodies wear, and it burns the trans up. The correction kits as they are called, are suppose to help alliveiate the problem, but seldon dose, because the bores in the valve body are usually too far gone, so a kit is a waste of money. Besides, they don't make the 4T shift any faster, the computer controls the shifts

4t60-e trannies

Post by Guest »

I've replaced two tranny's now in a beretta z-26 and a corsica 3.1 mpfi by hand. Both had the 4t60-E transmission. Your best bet would be to honestly either change out the engine to a 3.4 or a 3.8 if you really want a higher end tranny. This is simply my opinion however but I hate the 4t60-E with an extreme prejudice. I can give ya details if you like but it sounds like you have had enough fun with em already. I did both of these myself in my parents garage.

4t60-e trannies

Post by Guest »

i thought the 4t60e came in the corsicas and beretta's in 94 when they went from 3.1MPFI to 3100 SFI?

4t60-e trannies

Post by Guest »

My parents Lumina(95) has a 4t60E in it.. I'm pretty sure it has a diff FDR ratio. It definently has a different style torque converter. I dunno but it sure feels peppy for being a much bigger car with the same motor.

4t60-e trannies

Post by Guest »

i love mine. shifts hard and has 280 foot pounds going to it, if not more..and i beat the #### out of it. its sweet for the drag strip. sounds like you have a burn out issue o yeah mines not electronic..mines hydraulic

nocutt

4t60-e trannies

Post by nocutt »

Quote (White 93-L67 @ Aug. 08 2002,01)i love mine. shifts hard and has 280 foot pounds going to it, if not more..and i beat the #### out of it. its sweet for the drag strip. sounds like you have a burn out issue o yeah mines not electronic..mines hydraulic
hahahahhahaha!! I see you are trying to rub it in eh? lol!! Was the news SBC are we ready to go to the dyno yet?

Z26er,
   The best suggestion I can give you about your tranny is try to grab one from either a caddy..the part used for this boats are more heavy duty parts...more than likely you will throw a code if you do not use the stock z26 gearing, a tranny cooler will help but not the differential what you need to do is either invest in an aftermarket LSD or avoid burn-outs, neutral drops or reverse pops...yeah I know where is the fun in that...well everything has got its price!!

I dont want to burst anyones bubble, but I don't think that's accurate. Erich and I did some reasearch, and the 4t's are the same, any ratio changes had to be made yourself, and some of those parts were interchangable with a 4t65, If memory serves me correctly.

Not entirely a complete statement J...the 60-e tranny from the caddy were more sturdier...

4t60-e trannies

Post by Guest »

Quote the 60-e tranny from the caddy were more sturdier...You must mean a 4T80E in a cadi. Quote I dunno but it sure feels peppy for being a much bigger car with the same motor. Different computer, different specs, make all the differnce in the world.

Z26er

4t60-e trannies

Post by Z26er »

I never did do nuetral drops..  i spun my tires alot on the weekends.. but hell i'd spin them just tapping the gas if it was a wet road and squak them on dry with the original tranny in there.  i think it's just that my old man got a POS transmission from a junk yard. so i'm just gonna end up slapping the old one back in since the only problem i had with that one was reverse and that's the onyl problem i had with it when i bought it.  But i'm also thinking of tranferring it to a manual.. there is a custom shop about 40 miles away that turned a Z26 into a rally car.

nocutt

4t60-e trannies

Post by nocutt »

Quote nocutt

-the 60-e tranny from the caddy were more sturdier...

Quote jcz26

-You must mean a 4T80E in a cadi.

Umm No I mean caddy, like a 4.9L...before the N* name was adopted...oh and their was the allante...blah!blah!!blah...U get the pic-cha ÂÂÂ

EDIT: Allantes used the 60 tranny not the electronic controlled tranny (60-e) and then was changed in (someone correct me ) '93 this year they used the grandaddy of all FWD electronic GM transmissions the MH1 80-e...
thanks JC