Towing

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
GTPrix

Towing

Post by GTPrix »

I'm moving next month, and it looks like I'll be renting the 8'x4'x4' trailer from Uhaul.

The car is going into the shop again before I leave to have the front motor mount replaced, the oil leak fixed, and to have a tranny cooler put in.

But I want to know if anyone has ever had to tow anything so large/heavy for such a long ways with their retta before?
The trip will be between 1,100 & 1,200 miles.

Is there anything I should know?  Do you think I'll make it?
I think everything will be ok, but I still can't help but worry.

Thanks so much!

Towing

Post by Guest »

I'm in landscaping and everyday I tow a trailer that out weights a Beretta (or Corsica&#33 easy. The ONLY thing you need to worry about is stopping distance. If you make sure you leave enough space between you and the next car everything'll be fine.

Hell, hook everything up and drive around a familar place for a few minutes. Test out the brakes, see how they feel.

p.s.- practice backing up a bit too

Towing

Post by Guest »

The guy that owned my Z26 before me towed his ATV in a trailer to the mountains every year.  I still have the trailer hitch on.  The car handled it fine.  Just make sure the trailer is not too heavy.  I think it'll be ok on your transmision. Just as long as you don't try towing it up a lot of hills.

98beretta kid

Towing

Post by 98beretta kid »

I remember hearing somewhere that you should not tow while in overdrive.

-Bryan

1989 Beretta GT (Money pit #1)
1996 GMC Sonoma (Money pit #2)
1993 GTZ ( Couldn't ask for a better Car)

The 3 reasons why I'm broke
1988GTU

Towing

Post by 1988GTU »

This might help:  When backing up put your hand(s) at the bottom of the wheel and which ever way your hand(s) turn the wheel, the trailer will turn that way too.

_________
-------------

Towing

Post by Guest »

Your car should handle it just fine especially since you are getting a tranny cooler. You may want to look into what 98beretta kid said about not towing in overdrive. Im not sure about that

berettajeep

Towing

Post by berettajeep »

I just went to Connecticut w/a trailer to get my jeep frame
Over 1000 miles there and back. single axle flatbed trailer.things to check
1)get a heavy duty turn signal flasher
2)have brakes checked
3)trans cooler will be awesome,your trans will thank you
4)check the rear shocks
5)change motor oil (710) before you leave
6)drive carefully
7)use your safty chains on the trailer(criss cross them)
8)make sure all lights work before leaving

I have a 5 speed and i drove in over drive unless i was passing somebody or going up a hill.(I was down shifting alot,too many slow people,too many hills)]

but if you have never driven with a trailer before go to a open area and practice backing up and turning etc;

good luck

beretta is gone. -sigh-
berettajeep

Towing

Post by berettajeep »

Oh and when I first read the topic title I thought you meant have any had their Beretta towed....

Ive towed my own car on a tow truck when nobody could pick me up/take me home when i would drop the truck off after work.

beretta is gone. -sigh-
GTPrix

Towing

Post by GTPrix »

Quote (berettajeep @ Aug. 03 2002,11:23)things to check
1)get a heavy duty turn signal flasher
2)have brakes checked
3)trans cooler will be awesome,your trans will thank you
4)check the rear shocks
5)change motor oil (710) before you leave
6)drive carefully
7)use your safty chains on the trailer(criss cross them)
8)make sure all lights work before leaving
I don't have OD, so I guess I don't have to worry about that..?

But as far as the list goes..
My brakes, rotors, calipers, brake hoses, and swaybar endlinks were just replaced.
Rear shocks were changed last spring
I'm getting the oil leak fixed before I leave, so the oil will be new.  And I'm contemplating switching to synth.
Drive carefully-Always.
Aaaaand I just got done replacing half my bulbs, inside and out.
(Mine like to all go out at the same time every few years..)

Thanks guys, I feel even better about the trip now.

1988GTU

Towing

Post by 1988GTU »

Quote (berettajeep @ Aug. 04 2002,01:27)Oh and when I first read the topic title I thought you meant have any had their Beretta towed....

Ive towed my own car on a tow truck when nobody could pick me up/take me home when i would drop the truck off after work.
Yea I thought that too..........  Because it's a B!TCH to tow my car (88GTU).  AAA guy told me that its easy getting it on the flat bed, but it's a MF to get it off.  The gfx would get crushed if not carefull.

_________
-------------
berettajeep

Towing

Post by berettajeep »

Quote (1988GTU @ Aug. 04 2002,01:52)Quote (berettajeep @ Aug. 04 2002,01:27)Oh and when I first read the topic title I thought you meant have any had their Beretta towed....

Yea I thought that too..........  Because it's a B!TCH to tow my car (88GTU).  AAA guy told me that its easy getting it on the flat bed, but it's a MF to get it off.  The gfx would get crushed if not carefull.
If he knew what he was doing...........

you always take wood with you so you can build 'steps' for the front of the car to lift up so you dont scratch the GFX's

beretta is gone. -sigh-
1988GTU

Towing

Post by 1988GTU »

Quote (berettajeep @ Aug. 04 2002,03:41)Quote (1988GTU @ Aug. 04 2002,01:52)Quote (berettajeep @ Aug. 04 2002,01:27)Oh and when I first read the topic title I thought you meant have any had their Beretta towed....

If he knew what he was doing...........

you always take wood with you so you can build 'steps' for the front of the car to lift up so you dont scratch the GFX's
Yea that AAA guy taught me that when my starter stoped.

_________
-------------
Kevskate99

Towing

Post by Kevskate99 »

See Aly, What did we tell you about the tranny cooler on your board  

GTPrix

Towing

Post by GTPrix »

Huh?

Uhhhh yeah....it's on the list I posted above...?

I'm confused...

Kevskate99

Towing

Post by Kevskate99 »

We told you to get a tranny cooler on your board last week and this week everyone on this board is saying the same thing......

*Ponders about how much blonde is in Aly's hair???*