Egr valve

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
paintgod93

Egr valve

Post by paintgod93 »

I'm not talking about the actual EGR, I am refering to the  little passage that leads up to it from the intake.  How would not having a clogged passageway set off a code?

1996 zed26 Worst
2000 Katana Better
2006 Gsx-R Best
Kevskate99

Egr valve

Post by Kevskate99 »

He claimed to be a ASE certified mechanic on Aly's corsica board. Then he got banned after many posts like he is replying now, after we tried to straighten things out and avoid that option.

Egr valve

Post by Guest »

I NEVER claimed to be an ASE certified mechanic, buddy.  I'm a diesel mechanic- I don't claim to know everything like some folks around here...  remember what you learned from me- SFI is NOT throttle body injection- glad I was on the corsica board to clear that up for you.

Give me some credit here- my posts on the corsica board were MUCH worse than any I've made here.  I've been trying to refrain from flying off the handle around here when folks give bad advice (which incidentally is far less common on this board than on the corsica board).   So as long as the moderators don't start randomly editing posts, and locking boards after putting in their petty little last word, then we'll all get along just fine!

Really, though... I'm just trying to help this person out- no need to waste time spraying carb. cleaner into the throttle body... since that is the corsica board method of cleaning out EGR passages (not sure exactly how that'll do anything but clean the throttle body... but who am I I question?).  Now, if that EGR passage is clogged with carbon, it'd be a good idea to clean it out, but it won't take care of any code.  If you doubt this, please explain to me exactly how the computer knows that exhaust gas isn't getting into the intake.  The PCM can only detect problems in circuits or readings that are out of range.

Oh, and I'm not banned from the corsica board- I just have to be careful how I post so ya'll whiners don't delete stuff.  I haven't posted there in a while 'cause I like this board better, but I'll come back to the corsica board if you miss me that much.

Egr valve

Post by Guest »

Really, though... I'm just trying to help this person out- no need to waste time spraying carb. cleaner into the throttle body... since that is the corsica board method of cleaning out EGR passages (not sure exactly how that'll do anything but clean the throttle body... but who am I I question?).  Now, if that EGR passage is clogged with carbon, it'd be a good idea to clean it out, but it won't take care of any code.  If you doubt this, please explain to me exactly how the computer knows that exhaust gas isn't getting into the intake.  The PCM can only detect problems in circuits or readings that are out of range.

WTF ever said spray carb cleaner in the THROTTLE BODY to fix a EGR valve code
They said to clean out the passages for the EGR valve using CARB CLEANR or something similar.
I don't know the exact details of this 100%. But its obvious that SEVERAL people have had their cars fixed by cleaning these passage ways. Even some ppl had garages replace their EGR valve several times without fixing the problem. So it does not seem like the valve is the source of the problem.

Egr valve

Post by Guest »

On 3.1s & I suspect that the 3100s are the same, the EGR valve is checked electrically & mechanically (including any blockages) by the ECM during the decel mode. The ECM may/should go into the decel mode during extended coasting down a hill for example. (with the throttle closed) The ECM primarily goes into the decel mode to protect the cat. from overtemping (due to an extended time being subjected to a "lean mixture") and the ECM will actually cut off the fuel delivery to Zero. Some of you may have noticed that after going down a longish hill with the throttle closed you felt a definite jerk when you touched/applied throttle seconds later. That jerk was the ECM kicking in the fuel delivery again. It is during this decel mode that the ECM commands each of the three solenoids one after the other to open it's associated pintle valve and let exhaust gases (obviously with no combustion taking place this will be basically exhausted air!!&#33 through into the intake. The ECM then looks for a corresponding correct increase in MAP. (There are three different sizes of orifices that allow a metered amount of exhaust into the intake depending on several operating parameters during normal operation & during this decel mode.) During this self checking of the EGR Valve by the ECM if the ECM isn't a happy camper it should set a code 32. The ECM/EGR valve/cat combo is there to control NOX which is an important emissions issue in some parts of North America & is checked during most emissions testing.

Egr valve

Post by Guest »

dude... I stand corrected.

I am not worthy

paintgod93

Egr valve

Post by paintgod93 »

Umm yeah.. what that rps guy said.
All I know is that when I yanked my intake and cleaned the little egr anus tube, the light went off so
paintgod= happy camper

1996 zed26 Worst
2000 Katana Better
2006 Gsx-R Best