Coolant level

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Coolant level

Post by Guest »

are there any known problems with the coolant on these 3.1's?
my coolant level light keeps going on and off and it some times the resivoir will fill up to the top and leek out. i got another radiator cap and thermostat and it slowed down the droppin of the coolant. there are no noticeable leeks and no signs of a blown head gasket?

lugnutz

Coolant level

Post by lugnutz »

Quote (indyb90 @ Mar. 16 2002,6:52)are there any known problems with the coolant on these 3.1's?
my coolant level light keeps going on and off and it some times the resivoir will fill up to the top and leek out. i got another radiator cap and thermostat and it slowed down the droppin of the coolant. there are no noticeable leeks and no signs of a blown head gasket?
What kind of readings are you getting from the temp gauge?  If you changed the radiator cap and thermostat maybe your radiator needs to be flushed.

Bnet member #21
'91 3.1 5spd --- SOLD
'04 GTO 6spd

Coolant level

Post by Guest »

do you smell "burning" antifreeze? is the windshield getting fogged when the defroster is on? Is the floor wet? do you see any coolant comming out of the vent tube below the fire wall? Just thinking, but usually when you can't account for missing coolant, look for a leaking heater core. take the oil filler cap off, look at the inside of the cap, if you see some mayonaise looking stuff, then the coolant is most likely leaking into the engine.

Coolant level

Post by Guest »

there is a vent tube on the resvoir has leeked but i figured it was because it was overfull and the readings on the temp gauge always stay within a 1/4 and 1/2 mark

lugnutz

Coolant level

Post by lugnutz »

Quote (indyb90 @ Mar. 16 2002,9:23)there is a vent tube on the resvoir has leeked but i figured it was because it was overfull and the readings on the temp gauge always stay within a 1/4 and 1/2 mark
Well it doesn't seem to be overheating, maybe the coolant tank is over filled.  There is a hot/cold mark on the side of the tank for the correct coolant level.  You might also want to check all the things that JCZ26 listed.

Bnet member #21
'91 3.1 5spd --- SOLD
'04 GTO 6spd

Coolant level

Post by Guest »

nah the coolant tank isnt over filled i filled it up to the full cold mark the other day.

Coolant level

Post by Guest »

i took the oil filler cap off and there was white lookin stuff on it so if it is leakin into the engine what would have to be done?

Coolant level

Post by Guest »

You have the symptoms of a blown headgasket.  This is something you would want to check into to get fixed.  You run the risk of blowing the engine if you run too long w/ a head gasket failure.  If you can get a compression check for each cylinder and it shows a drop in compression then it is a sure head gasket problem.

Coolant level

Post by Guest »

The intake gaskets were good for losing that thin little rubber seal,   and letting coolant into the lifter valley. Shame on the gasket fairies for allowing this to happen . In addition to the compression check, the first thing we do, is watch the exhaust, if it stays steamy, then we suspect the head gasket, and proceed with the compression check. If the steam isn't present, we check compression anyway (may get a motor job out of it), and usually wind up doing the intake gaskets. Either way, the intake gasket gets changed .