Coolant resevoir question.

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Post by Guest »

Seeing as the Quad4 does not have an actual rad cap (maybe the overflow tank cap counts as one) can I add something like Bar's Stop-Leak to the resevoir and it will make its way into the radiator or is the water in the resevoir pretty stagnant in there?

My other option would be to take off one of the hoses and I really don't want to do that.

Post by Guest »

What year is your Quad? Mine has a rad cap. Your's must be a 94 correct?

The cap on the resevoir is the rad cap for that type of system. I don't want to say for sure that its o.k. to add stop-leak through there, but that would be the only way. I'm betting it would be fine.

Post by Guest »

Its a 1992.  No rad cap, the cap on the resevoir keeps all the pressure so unlike most overflows this one is pressurized which makes me think that the water actually moves, but I have long decided not to use common sense when it comes to figuring out GM engineering.

ETK-kAos

Post by ETK-kAos »

Quote (2xBlown @ Feb. 10 2003,23:06)....I have long decided not to use common sense when it comes to figuring out GM engineering....
haha

1991 Plymouth Sundance RS-Turbo
1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Post by Guest »

Where is your coolent leaking from? I wouldnt pour that stuff in my car it will clog up other stuff. If you really need to you will have to drain some of the coolent out and pour it in the overflow and wait for it to suck it out.

Post by Guest »

Older sealers such as solder seal and other powders will cure some pretty  nasty leaks but Yes they will clog.  BARS LEAKS on the other hand has been used by myself for about 8 years on many makes and models.  I have NEVER had a clogging prob with it.  When used on older cars Ive worked on it actually seems to help cooling ALITTLE.  It wont cure major leaks (anything over a slight drip) and if its a hose leaking it wont work well.  But a leaking hose will soon explode and we all know what that leads to. ÂÂÂ