88 2.8 pcv location

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

88 2.8 pcv location

Post by Guest »

This week is my spring break and i'm using this time off to do alot of the little replacement things that need to be done (change oil, plugs, etc.) I want to change my PCV Valve just to be safe since they are cheap. So i have the replacement valve, but can't seem to figure out where it goes. I looked at the Chiltons and under the hood and theres a hard black plastic hose that connects from the air intake hose to a hole on the front left of the rectangular cover on the engine. The hole for filling the oil is right around here too. I pilled this hose off at both ends and couldn't find a pcv valve so i left well enough alone untill i can get some info on if i'm even looking in the right place.

So my question is, where is the pcv valve located on an 88 2.8L? it's an automatic transmission if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Janus  (who knows that was a really dumb question)

88 2.8 pcv location

Post by Guest »

You're right.  It's right there by the oil filler, on the front valve cover.

lugnutz

88 2.8 pcv location

Post by lugnutz »

Try the middle of the rear valve cover.

Bnet member #21
'91 3.1 5spd --- SOLD
'04 GTO 6spd

88 2.8 pcv location

Post by Guest »

Yep, middle of the rear valve cover just like the 3.1's. Make sure your careful with the PCV hose that leads underneath the upper intake. If its brittle there is a chance it'll snap and you'll have to take off the upper intake to replace the hose. And no duct tape won't fix that!

88 2.8 pcv location

Post by Guest »

ok, thanks. i'll do that tomorrow then. i suppose i should just be content to know where the pcv valve is located, but now i'm curious to find out what that hose is for that i was talking about on the front valve cover. anyone have any idea?

thanks to all who contributed,

Janus

Oh, on a side note: Where did you get that pic badberetta? the people look like avatars for palacechat, but i've never seen the little berettas before..... thats cool.

88 2.8 pcv location

Post by Guest »

I think the technical name is the oil breather hose. Anyway all it does is route the fumes and gases that are in your engine back through the intake to be burned up again.