Mount access and Bushings

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Post by Guest »

Right now I have new frame rails from a 1992 with brand new poly bushings, along with new poly sway bar mounts and end links, new axles new strut mounts, new calipers, new ball joints, replaced set of knuckles, new tie rods, I did have 3 new motor mounts since my trans blew in January upper also has the poly insert, and now if it put the car in park get out and rock the motor it clicks... so I bought a new torque strut haven’t put it in yet but I have knocking and clicking when I put it in reverse and turn hard and stuff... I hate the Beretta suspension.  Plus I went through 2 axles since my trans was replaced... hopefully this one lasts.  (Drivers side axles that is, and they just developed a loud click.)  I am also going to do a full nut and bolt check on the suspension and motor mount brackets to be sure one didn’t come loose.

*frame rails done when trans blew along with the motor mounts, and knuckles strut mounts ball joints, tie rods and calipers done 3 weeks before Bfest NE*

TeamZGTZ

Post by TeamZGTZ »

Ohh thats just great no more fe7 bushings. Im screwed

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

:P
I got rid of my FE7, but now I'm stuck with an FE3 so you're still better off.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

Quote (3100-95-Modified @ July 28 2004,07:14)nuary upper also has the poly insert, and now if it put the car in park get out and rock the motor it clicks... so I bought a new torque strut haven’t put it in yet but I have knocking and clicking when I put it in reverse and turn hard and stuff...
i had that very same problem it ended up being the top engine mount was loose from the inside of the wheel well. those two 13mm bolts were loose.

I just took my mounts all apart from when i did my timing cover gasket last week- and the first time i took it apart i should have used locktite. the black mount with those 3 big bolts and the one small bolt, the 3 big bolts were finger tight. i'm pretty sure thats why i had to do the gasket again.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package

Post by Guest »

If your motor clicks when you rock the car back and forth, check the mounting bolts on the torque strut.  I discovered mine were loose while changing the oil recently.  I tightened those up and it doesn't rock so much.  I have an 89 2.8...not sure if the torque strut would be the same as newer 6's. ÂÂÂ

Now, the 'new' mounts I got from Advance Auto Parts 2 1/2 years ago are already tearing and allowing the motor to shift around.    I'd say spend a little more and get good mounts that will last, especially if you drive your car a little on the hard side.  ÂÂÂ

Kevskate99

Post by Kevskate99 »

Just replaced all 3 mounts and the strut on my car today, total was cost was 135.00 with tax here in CT. Took me 1.5 hours to do them all.

doughboy1013

Post by doughboy1013 »

Quote (MAJ28 @ July 27 2004,23:32)I ordered new bushings for my swaybay one time and they sent me the wrong ones, I don't think FE7 bushings are still available. ÂÂÂ
Yeah, when I went to get my new endlinks for the FE7 I asked for new bushings too and was told they were discontinued.  Still don't have the links on... cars handle funny without functioning sway bars.

Almost funny.  Almost.
TeamZGTZ

Post by TeamZGTZ »

Dam so what am I to do. Use those go kart tie rod end links and make one or what?

Kevskate99

Post by Kevskate99 »

10032854 GM part number right there for the "heavy duty suspension" endlink.

MAJ28

Post by MAJ28 »

We're not talking about endlinks, we're talking about the bushings that connect to the subframe. ÂÂÂ
Part Number:22540042

I found this bnet article searching google concerning these bushings....

What I'm getting is that there is a possibility that part # 10288551 could work on our bars.  Of course GM seldom has interchangable parts with different numbers, unless of course the difference is negligable.

Breakthrough:
Boner was kind enough to give me the info WE need.  Go to this site and call them and order part # 9.5155 (11/16" - 17.5mm).  I know the number isn't listed on the site.  You'll need 4 new 8mm bolts, the bracket will need to be bent slightly.  

This is a picture of it in use...

They are around $25 he says and 100% poly.

»Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   

Post by Guest »

Found my problem or at least one... lower strut mount wasn’t tight where it bolts to motor mount.  I still have a pop noise after I pull in somewhere (parking spot) turning left and then go to straighten the wheel while not moving it goes pop, or Bump kinda... I was wondering if that could be caused by steering rack?

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

By having the loose nuts/bolts, the damage might* already be done.

_________
-------------
TeamZGTZ

Post by TeamZGTZ »

John I tell you trying to find that noise will drive you nuts. Also those bushings look nice and they are greasable. I thought you guys were saying the ends were discontinued. Ok the world is a better place. I almost started drawing up a set from tie rod ends off a go kart.

TeamZGTZ

Post by TeamZGTZ »

But I have not been on internet that long. So what everyone agrees its the saway bar links or bushings? That is about the only thing left?