Alternator

Archived topics from the Mobile Electronics and Audio Forum

Alternator

Post by Guest »

"You're gonna need a bigger alternator if you put all the sound equpiment in your car" - My step-dad. So I'm askin' if you think I will. I'm puttin' in a 800 watt Kenwood amp to push two 10" subs, about 275 - 350 RMS. Is this gonna be a problem? I didn't think so but lemme know what you think.

BerettaLove32

Alternator

Post by BerettaLove32 »

uuummm no. Unless you are like adding on batteries and running tons and tons of stuff then yes. But for 800 watts! I think not!

Alternator

Post by Guest »

Just a little bit of laws of electronics here.

Given 100% efficiency, and if the true power of the amp is 800wRMS. Also given that the alternator is putting out 14.4volts at idle.....

That amp has the capability of drawing 55.555etc. amps of current.

Most amps that are 800wRMS usually can have a peak output power of 1600w or higher, so punching back in the numbers....

114.28 amps of draw durring transients.

Real world numbers would of course be higher, as amps aren't 100% efficient.

Now the answer would be, looking at the numbers... Yes, you do need an upgraded alternator, if you plan on driving around with the bass amp running at full tilt every where you go.

Can you get by without an upgraded alternator? Yes. But you'll have to deal with the dimming of the headlights, and the slowing down of the windshield wipers and blower motor at night when the bass hits.

I always suggest upgrading an alternator when doing a system, if it's in your budget. The higher current flow potential would be appreciated by the amp, and the dimming headlights won't be as annoying to you and other drivers.

cold_pyro

Alternator

Post by cold_pyro »

What about those alternator cooling vents that I've seen online?  Would they help out any?

Alternator

Post by Guest »

Quote (cold_pyro @ May 15 2003,21:57)What about those alternator cooling vents that I've seen online?  Would they help out any?
Don't quite know what you are talking about, but I'll take a guess. I take it these are probably heatsinks designed to cool the alternator off.

Either way you slice it, they aren't helping the alternator to put out more power, they are merely keeping it from failing due to excessive heat. Electronics doesn't get along too well with heat, so anything you can do to remove the heat from the electronics would prolong it's life.

But in the long run you are still stuck with an 80amp(not sure on the Beretta's actual size) alternator, no matter how cool it may be.