My cold air intake

Post information about intake systems. Either purchased or custom made
GTZryda

My cold air intake

Post by GTZryda »

This is how i made a cold air intake for my 90 GTZ using Spectre performance intake products.

Parts needed-
90 Degree in take tube
4" long straight intake tube
3" flexible intake tube
Coupler
rubber grommet
Hose clamps
basic tools

Remove your battery for more room to work. Remove your head lights, grill and headlight housing.

First i use a 90 degree bend tube with a coupler and rubber grommet to go on your throttle body so the coupler will fit.
Put the 90 degree intake tube on the throttle body facing up

Next clamp the flexible intake tube on the 90 degree intake tube

Take a hammer or pliers and widen the opening in front of the battery leading out of the engine bay into the inside of the to bumper cover.

Now flex the intake tube through the wider opening facing down once you get it through

Now take the 4" long intake tube and put it on your air filter( I used an AEM Dry Flow filter) then hook it up to the flexible intake tube

I used this piece i had laying around the garage and used it for support for the intake

I used the "hook" part and slipped it under one of the hose clamps and then bolted it to the closest bolt for the bumper

Put your battery back in(putting back in the mount for the battery will be tricky but doable) and everything else and you're good to go. You now have a cold air intake for your Quad 4!

90 GTZ W41
96 Z26
96 Twin cam
Bandit

My cold air intake

Post by Bandit »

Not a bad write up.  But just my $0.02.  You should have ran the filter over by the opening in the lower lip.  Better air flow there instead of where your filter is now.  But either way, it's by far better than stock.  

- Ryan -
1987 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
1995 Chevy S10 Ext. Cab 4x4
wicked-irocz

My cold air intake

Post by wicked-irocz »

I agree that you did a good job showing us what you did but that bend is very restrictive.  Way to tight of a radius.  The flex tubing also creates a lot of turbulance and hurts flow.  Probably flows better than stock but I'm not sure by how much.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
96Z26

My cold air intake

Post by 96Z26 »

Looks nice but, as Wicked said...

That bend is very restrictive, very tight radius.  Also flex tubing  creates a lot of turbulance that cuts down air and hurts flow, you want  a smooth air flow to max your HP

Cars/Trucks
1966 BuickGS(stock 2X4bl car)
1995 Dakota( Tubbed Pro Street)
1996 Beretta Z26
2000 Stratus
2003 Dodge Ram (Show Truck 500hp!)
2011 Mercedes C63 AMG (Fast in Class 11.90)
2013 Mercedes C250
GTZryda

My cold air intake

Post by GTZryda »

(96Z26 @ Feb. 11 2009,08:47)QUOTELooks nice but, as Wicked said...

That bend is very restrictive, very tight radius.  Also flex tubing  creates a lot of turbulance that cuts down air and hurts flow, you want  a smooth air flow to max your HP
I'm gonna change it out soon. I did not know that the flex tube was restrictive. I thought it would just as good as a smooth bent tube. But know that i know how the bends will be i should be able to make one with all smooth bends in the same location.

Thanks guys for you help

90 GTZ W41
96 Z26
96 Twin cam
Money pit Beretta

My cold air intake

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Check with Styluss. At http://stylusscustoms.com/ he is a Beretta guy and makes CAI's and WAI's for our cars. I'm not sure if he has the Q4 CAI made yet, so you'll have to ask. It's the old Tranzgenic stuff more or less. I had one on my 90GT and loved it. In the old days you had to pick which you put in the hole in the intake(IAT or the PCV hose). I put the IAT in and used a breather for the PCV(this was on a 3.1V6). If I had to do it over again I would want holes for both,but that's just me.

keep'em flying!