Anyone Have Experince With a Cutlass Supreme?

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
2.2H8TA

Anyone Have Experince With a Cutlass Supreme?

Post by 2.2H8TA »

I'm probably gonna be picking up a 1994 Cutlass Supreme Sedan. It's got the 3100 in it, and it has 86k on it.
This is going to be my winter car, so I don't have to subject the Z to road salt.
Has anyone ever had one of these before, or know what to look for as far as rust, or any other issues?
It needs the LIMG's done, but it seems like it's still driveable as of now. It's pretty solid feeling on the road, runs like an 86k mile car should. Stops good, and goes down the road straight.
I'm gonna have the owner get the LIMG job done. (Owner is my boss, a used car dealer) Gonna get 2 tires, and get it inspected, and drive the hell out of it this coming winter. I'm gonna drive it around for a couple days here before I buy it, and get it checked out to make sure it's good.
Anyone got any advice as far as what to look for?

1994 AQUA ZED
themixer

Re: Anyone Have Experince With a Cutlass Supreme?

Post by themixer »

RUST! thats really it

2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Any particular areas? Or are they pretty similar to the rettas? Rockers I know are solid, do the rear subframes go on them like the Berettas? And the inside of the trunks?

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

This thing whines constantly. When your slowing down to a stop, you can hear it downshft, and the downshift sounds like a whine. It gets louder as it reaches the top of every gear, and then when it shifts the whine quiets down. Anyone have any idea what this could be? It shifts smooth, and the tranny fluid looks fine.
I'm gonna get it looked at this week, but if anybody here has any input, I'd like to hear it.
Last edited by 2.2H8TA on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1994 AQUA ZED
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

could be any of the belt driven accessories, it doesn't have to be the transmission. Such as the PS pump or alternator, or WP.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

I thought the same thing, but I'm thinking trans just because it gets louder as the rpms go up, and the downshift noise. We shall see. I also just found out it's a 1993, not a 94. I didn't know they put the 3100's in 93's untill now.
This 3100 is so damn strong too! No ticking or anything! Oh and it has 83k on it not 86k.

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Here is a crappy pic of the car.http://www.flickr.com/photos/63315008@N ... hotostream
I have a video uplading to PB right now, you can kina hear the whine.

1994 AQUA ZED
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

2.2H8TA wrote:Here is a crappy pic of the car.http://www.flickr.com/photos/63315008@N ... hotostream
Looks pretty nice, shame (IMO) it's a four door. Offtopic but was the Cutlass pic taken at Susquehanna University? Looks alot like the parking lot.

Hows the interior? Do they sound like a Beretta or is the firing order different?

2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

GTU89 wrote:
2.2H8TA wrote:Here is a crappy pic of the car.http://www.flickr.com/photos/63315008@N ... hotostream
Looks pretty nice, shame (IMO) it's a four door. Offtopic but was the Cutlass pic taken at Susquehanna University? Looks alot like the parking lot.

Hows the interior? Do they sound like a Beretta or is the firing order different?
I know, I wish it was a 2dr. No thats not where the pic was taken, but it was taken in PA though. LOL
The 3100 sounds like a 3100, I'd guess the firing order is the same. It has a much quieter, and boring exaust note compared to the Z. I love the way the Z sounds, and this just sounds like any other car honestly.
The interior is in nice shape, and it's BLACK! Only things that suck are no raidio, and aftermarket speakers in the rear deck with nothing over them. Oh and the rear deck has sun damage. I'll get some more pics up soon.
Last edited by 2.2H8TA on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Heres the Vid. At about the 40 sec. mark is where you can hear it best, just before and after I put the window down. Crappy video, I know.
http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t36 ... nt=005.mp4
The oil pressure gauge seems to read really low too, and it dosn't seem to move much at all under throttle.

1994 AQUA ZED
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

first off I hear absolutely no whining, and secondly if it's doing it when your revving in park or at idle then it's most likely a belt driven accessory, and yes that will change pitch with RPM's because they spin faster as the engine revs up.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

So it's a 3.1L? I know a guy that has a two door vert with a 3.1L.

keep'em flying!
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Money pit Beretta wrote:So it's a 3.1L? I know a guy that has a two door vert with a 3.1L.

1994 AQUA ZED
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Just checking, a few people here like to call a 3.1 a 3100. They are not the same.

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

PS pump or similar I'm betting. Here's a thought:

Pull the belt and run it just long enough to see if the whining stops. If so, its NOT the engine or the transmission.

Question:

Does this have an aftermarket radio or amp? Disconnect them, see if the whining stops that way. LOL

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan