WOW!

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
#1 stunna

WOW!

Post by #1 stunna »

Boy did i do something stupid today ... Forgot to put my hood pins back in ~ hood blew up and smashed out my windshield!!!!! lol :oops: wtf

88 beretta
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/517217
03 monte carlo ss
Koots

Re: WOW!

Post by Koots »

Damn! Sorry to hear man, I'm hoping that you posting means you came out alright and didn't get hurt.

#1 stunna

Post by #1 stunna »

yea im good thanks , but man did that make me sick ~ and felt like a dumbass lol

88 beretta
03 monte carlo ss
Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

Not trolling, but I do want pictures if you got them.
I like looking at photos. :)

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

This almost seems to be typical with Berettas, for some reason.

After I sold my '95 Z-26 to my niece some years ago, she bumper-tagged someone on the freeway hard enough to bend the hood-latch to keep it from hooking up, and she kept driving it until it bobbed-up on the highway and the back-up hook let go, and BAM! I got my Z-26 back for cheap, though :roll: . I even found a really clean '96 base BRM car in the salvage-yard right after that, so the hood was perfect for ~$25 or $30, and the windshield cost something like $100-120.

And the previous owners of my Yellow Indy had the hood pop up on them too -the catch for the back-up hook wasn't in the right position, so I suspect they just didn't close the hood right and the secondary hook was no help. But, the car has a new windshield with a new 'Beretta' banner, and I got the car for fairly cheap, so I'm not complaining...

Even my '90 T-Type turbo 'Retta had a thin body-filler and repaint on the roof over the windshield (it has mostly flaked-out now) that looks to have been done shortly after the car was new, most likely caused by an untimely opening of the hood.

Glad you are alright though, it could have been worse.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

His issue doesn't fit your stories though... this was an aftermarket hood with pins, I'm guessing he doesn't even have a stock latch on it at all.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

3X00-Modified wrote:His issue doesn't fit your stories though... this was an aftermarket hood with pins, I'm guessing he doesn't even have a stock latch on it at all.
I've seen a few stock hoods on Berettas with pins, and I don't know this car well enough to know for sure it was aftermarket. I don't think Berettas have a fatal-flaw in the hood-latching mechanism, it just seems to be a run of luck with these cars from what I've seen, that was my point, what was yours?

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

Rettax3 wrote:
3X00-Modified wrote:His issue doesn't fit your stories though... this was an aftermarket hood with pins, I'm guessing he doesn't even have a stock latch on it at all.
I've seen a few stock hoods on Berettas with pins, and I don't know this car well enough to know for sure it was aftermarket. I don't think Berettas have a fatal-flaw in the hood-latching mechanism, it just seems to be a run of luck with these cars from what I've seen, that was my point, what was yours?
I've driven with the hood half latched by accident a few times before. The hook always held it.
But I do always put grease on latches and things and its aligned correctly.

If it was up to me, I'd have all engine hood open up the other way, like some Corvettes have, to help stop the sudden destruction of the window and hood if the latches ever fail.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I was looking at a way to convert the hood on my turbo 'Retta to lift forward too. I went so far as to buy the hood-hinges from a '70s or'80s Beemer something-or-other and a front-tilt assembly from a late 80's GM car too. The GM assembly was way too big, too wide and too tall, and the BMW hinges looked like they would fit great if I modified the upper radiator core-support just a little, but my car is totally straight, so I'm not willing to do that. Now that it is mentioned however, the upper radiator support on my Yellow Indy is wrinkled a bit... Hmm..

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Thompson128

Post by Thompson128 »

I've had mine pop on to the secondary latch a couple times on the freeway, scares the crap out of me. Luckily it's held both times.

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

Thompson128 wrote:I've had mine pop on to the secondary latch a couple times on the freeway, scares the crap out of me. Luckily it's held both times.
Sounds like your latch is not aligned correctly, maybe you have to move it up a bit because its not closing all the way? Or its broke?
Rettax3 wrote:I was looking at a way to convert the hood on my turbo 'Retta to lift forward too. I went so far as to buy the hood-hinges from a '70s or'80s Beemer something-or-other and a front-tilt assembly from a late 80's GM car too. The GM assembly was way too big, too wide and too tall, and the BMW hinges looked like they would fit great if I modified the upper radiator core-support just a little, but my car is totally straight, so I'm not willing to do that. Now that it is mentioned however, the upper radiator support on my Yellow Indy is wrinkled a bit... Hmm..
If straight hinges don't work, What about a compound hinge? Something that lifts up and opens?
Only thing I can see getting in the way is the front center tip of the hood onto the top of the grill.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

GHOSTOWLGRID wrote:
Thompson128 wrote:I've had mine pop on to the secondary latch a couple times on the freeway, scares the crap out of me. Luckily it's held both times.
Sounds like your latch is not aligned correctly, maybe you have to move it up a bit because its not closing all the way? Or its broke?
Rettax3 wrote:I was looking at a way to convert the hood on my turbo 'Retta to lift forward too. I went so far as to buy the hood-hinges from a '70s or'80s Beemer something-or-other and a front-tilt assembly from a late 80's GM car too. The GM assembly was way too big, too wide and too tall, and the BMW hinges looked like they would fit great if I modified the upper radiator core-support just a little, but my car is totally straight, so I'm not willing to do that. Now that it is mentioned however, the upper radiator support on my Yellow Indy is wrinkled a bit... Hmm..
If straight hinges don't work, What about a compound hinge? Something that lifts up and opens?
Only thing I can see getting in the way is the front center tip of the hood onto the top of the grill.
Both of the donor-cars I took front-tilt hinges from are compound, up-and-forward a little to release the hooks holding the hood at the back, then up at the back of the hood. Unless your hood was straight across the front or overhung the nose of the car, there isn't really any other good way to front-tilt hinge a hood -I guess it could be hinged in the middle above the grill, but that wouldn't be very stable...

The original hood on my old Camaro (an off-set cowl-induction 'Formula' style hood) had a nasty tendency not to properly latch or release the latch until later... I got into the habit fast of yanking up on the hood to make certain it was latched properly -I've never had a hood come all the way up on me, but that Camaro hood did bob-up and catch on the auxiliary hook a few times, so it was close.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
#1 stunna

Post by #1 stunna »

.... Mine has a us body cowl hood w/ no stock hood catch jus pins ... messed the hood up in a few places, totally destroyed the hinges and windshield , also put a pretty good size dent on the roof, right near the top of window frame. Im most worried bout getting that dent out so that the new windshield will seal properly - i will post some pics so yall can get a good laugh in :(

88 beretta
03 monte carlo ss
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

#1 stunna wrote:.... Mine has a us body cowl hood w/ no stock hood catch jus pins ... messed the hood up in a few places, totally destroyed the hinges and windshield , also put a pretty good size dent on the roof, right near the top of window frame. Im most worried bout getting that dent out so that the new windshield will seal properly - i will post some pics so yall can get a good laugh in :(
Speaking for most of the community here, it isn't funny to us -we've all made a mistake that cost us in some way. I think it says a lot for the quality of the US cowl hood that it wasn't completely destroyed by this though. :good: That said, the train-wreck-watching carrion-eating quality of people being what it is, pics are welcome, if not eagerly awaited... :oops:

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
#1 stunna

Post by #1 stunna »

poor baby ...
0209111014.jpeg
0209111014.jpeg (44.27 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

88 beretta
03 monte carlo ss