Birthday Present

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Birthday Present

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Just picked up this for my Bday last week...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... amera.html

Cant wait for it to show up and try it out.

Kit also included

And a bunch of other misc stuff like filters and a wide angle and telephoto lens.

I got the kit from Cameta Camera instead of B&H Photo.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Re: Birthday Present

Post by woody90gtz »

I got to play with a friend's SLR a few months back. That will be my next step when it comes time for a new camera.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

Yum. Have fun with that beast!

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Is that the one with the larger CMOS sensor?

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Its a DX / 1.5x Crop Factor... Full frame sensor cameras are in the range of 1900 to 3500 for the BODY only... LOL... I do NOT need that much camera. Amy already crap her pants when I said this camera kit cost $979... LOL

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Looks very nice. I am old-school, I still prefer film, in fact black&white film... I never made it to the point of having my own dark-room (although I do own a photo print enlarger for developing), so I have had to borrow time from friends/family/school to develop film and prints... I guess I got burned-out though.

I have a 1969 Minolta SRT 101 series SLR, works great, and has the extended range for 6400(!) speed film, I think that is still available too. I know I have a roll or two of Ilford 3200 speed around in my camera-bag...
P4230522.jpg
Digital has come a long way since I first started snubbing it though, I still don't see myself learning all the new skills required to operate a camera like yours proficiently in this lifetime. That is a very versatile piece of equipment for sure, have fun with it and happy B-day... :good:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I have a film SLR that my Grandfather gave to me... I'll have to pull that out and see what it is. I know it's a Nikon though.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Damn, I'm just going to have to look up the model.
I still have two 35mm's, one Nikon and a low end Minolta. I sure like yours Rettax3.

keep'em flying!
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Damn, I'm just going to have to look up the model.
I still have two 35mm's, one Nikon and a low end Minolta. I sure like yours Rettax3.
Thanks, I like mine too :Yahoo!: . Every time I switched over to a more compact lens, I found myself needing that Tamron zoom. It is a Macro lens too, meaning that I can zoom in up close to show the hairs on a honey-bee's back, or the stress-cracks in a cylinder head (not that I would ever take pictures of engines or cars or anything like that, no, of course not... :unknown: ).
The SRT 101 was a workhorse of a camera back in the day, there were a few variations in the series, the special 'field' model, I don't remember what they called it, used a black-painted brass body to reduce the chance of glare and warning-off potential targets, but it was actually less durable because of that %) .
I had borrowed my sister's Mamia (Japanese make) when I was studying photography back in college, and although it was a basic low-end model without interchangeable lenses, that was the best camera I ever used -100% reliable and perfect exposures every time I used it right (hey, I was in college, and have never been a perfect photographer :wink: ).
I still don't have an interest in sinking in hip-deep to the new digital equipment, but I admit, it is like a biplane vs a supersonic jet -they both get you there though. :pardon:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Money pit Beretta

Wow that is some lens!
Brass body? That is strange. Never thought anyone would do that.
Well I guess mine is a step up from your sister's, it has interchangeable lenses(of which I only have two).
I can tell you that the small point and shoots are ok for some things. They do get a little picky and sometimes won't let you shoot. That can be very frustrating when going from 35mm. It's nice to have something small and light to carry, but you pay for it in the long run. Good ones have a manual setting, but to me it takes too long and you can miss a shot.
I have only messed around with a D70 SLR and that was not too bad. At least with that it will take the shot everytime. Also I can use my lenses from the 35mm Nikon. The main problem is the users manual is a book. You could almost teach a class on it after(I would guess, have not read it all).
The biggest beef I have with some of the new stuff is plastic lens bodys. That and I don't know any new camera bodys that are not plastic. If you get a long enough lens it gets very out of balance. Which would be about 1/2 the size of yours(that is if you have the older metal body lenses).
Oh and if the digital's meter goes bad you are screwed. My little P60 has that problem and it ruined a great Mig 17 take off shot. I'm still mad about that one. Everything was fine but it was dark. The thing is it worked just fine on the shot before(yes, same setting).
Just FYI I'm about as far from a pro as someone could be. I have got a few "money" shots though, just not big money shots.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Ask 3X00 about the manual for his camera. I bet it's a book too!

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'll let you know when I get it, but that's how electronics are these days... Also not many bought SLR cameras unless they knew what they were doing way back when... so manuals as large weren't necessary. Today there are more affordable entry level DSLR's so they have to cover all the options. And if you think about it, many of the manuals cover the OS that the camera runs... that wasn't necessary when there was a button or knob for everything before, as well as think about how many more things a DSLR can do over a 35mm Camera... You can technically set up the developing process on it if you want, OR just use RAW files and use Adobe Lightroom to develop it later.

Never mind the manual is typically in 4 languages... I'd also rather have a manual that large so I can figure it out instead of getting pissed off and giving up because its not simple to understand.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

I agree with all of that.
Man there is alot to learn and remember with these things. Some settings I don't like, like the fireworks one. Ok I'll stop here, there are many more that seem to mess the photo up and would be too easy for a 35mm. But for the price I can pay........well.

keep'em flying!