Garage floor coatings.

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Garage floor coatings.

Post by 3X00-Modified »

So... Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Recommended brands? U-coat looks like 340 or higher for 740sq ft, and the rustoleum and quikrete stuff is about the same price.. but those have the flakes, the base U-coat doesnt. I can also get a clear coat for the others for $25 a gallon which covers 200-400sq ft.

Quikrete gray with flakes and a clear coat for 720 sqft comes to about 313.79, thats everything, two coat system first coat is a 2 part epoxy, second is the clear.

The U-Coat it stuff equililant setup, clear flakes and so on for 720sqft is 714.80 This is a 3 coat system, primer, base and clear.

I kinda want to figure this out before moving in so I can possibly keep one section empty, and start there and move stuff around so i dont have a full garage and then try to paint the floors.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Red_Bra_Black_GTZ

Re: Garage floor coatings.

Post by Red_Bra_Black_GTZ »

you need to paint your floor the same color as the car...... that would be just HOT...

ps, i saw the other day a corsica thje same color as yours... and i thought to myself, the 'family' car for jon....

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

I wouldn't even waste my time with that stuff.. Most of it I've seen has been a failure.

You could do a nice floor in vinyl composition tile for almost what some of that stuff costs if you buy the materials right.

This is one of the few pics I have which shows the tile floor in the garage. It's a bit dirty there, but it cleans up great.

Not to mention that there's virtually no wait time from when you lay it to when you can use it.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Cliff8928 wrote:I wouldn't even waste my time with that stuff.. Most of it I've seen has been a failure.

You could do a nice floor in vinyl composition tile for almost what some of that stuff costs if you buy the materials right.

This is one of the few pics I have which shows the tile floor in the garage. It's a bit dirty there, but it cleans up great.

Not to mention that there's virtually no wait time from when you lay it to when you can use it.

If I can find this for the same price then this actually peeks my intereset even more than the paint coating... since this I can lay down at any time and wait in between bays and such, since there wont be a line where I stopped and started...

I'm going to look into this more. I'm assuming its just like tile where you spread down paste and then lay the tiles down.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

crap, I'm only finding this stuff in 40sq/ft boxes for 99, or $0.88 a tile... For 720 sq/ft, thats VERY expensive. The painting is only 70 per 250st/ft... I dont think tile can beat that price right now.

I may paint right now and then tile it later in life when I can afford to breathe... I may only paint my bay too just since thats the one that will be getting the majority of the work/spills... I just don't like staining concrete with oil and such.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

There is that plastic stuff that snaps together that they were pushing on "My Classic Car"

I have actually seen it in person and it's both tough, and removeable. I can't think of the name at present, but it can't be hard to find.

U Coat It is great if you prep properly, but few people do, because it's alot of work.

OR as Cliff suggested, good quality vinyl tile.

I have also seen 1/2" ply wood laid and painted, which actually looked prety damn good.

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

How smooth is your concrete? A rough finish may need some prep with paint to get a smooth floor after its done... Tiles dont matter...

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Oil stains give a concrete floor character, and separates and working man's garage from the uppity snob type. haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

I used the epoxy coating (Quikcrete I think) when I moved into the house.

The part that sits outdoors is faded and coming off.

There are tire marks from when I jacked up the car when the tires were hot, and the coating lifted off the floor.

Keep in mind that this doesn't protect the floors if you drop anything (you can still take gouges out of the concrete floor).

I prepped the hell out of it, let everything cure... etc.

If I had to do it over again, I'd go the tile that Cliff is talking about or the plastic interconnects way that Eric is referring to.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Rex 2.0
Global Moderator

Post by Rex 2.0 »

Those floors look amazing.

92 GTZ TURBO <-- Rex Mobile
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Ok guys well note that I just bought a house!... do you have to see how red my bank account is to understand that 1200-1800 floors are just OUT of the question. I'm looking for something that will simply protect the floor and keep oil and crap off of it for the mean time and If I want to go tiles later when I can afford it I can do that, and not be starting with a oil stained concrete floor that I want something to stick to.

I guess I should amend my topic to say AFFORDABLE.

Geoff, I'm aware that droping something would chip it... that's a DURRR moment. I just don't want to leave what I have left in the garage here in such short time... Did you just do the quikrete coating and not the clear top coat?

Barry, the floor has actually been skim coated and is very smooth to start, so I'm lucky there.

If I find that this stuff starts to pull up or peal then yes I would like to invest in something later on, but for now I would like just a cheaper alternative that will keep oil off of my floor.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Mine didn't come with the clearcoat, I just used the epoxy mixture and sprinkled some flakes down.

My only advice with doing it is to work quickly... once this stuff starts to setup, it won't adhere nearly as good.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I would be buying the clear separate, so that's not included, but it's accounted for in my 350 total price to do the whole garage...

I'll be doing mine probably a bay at a time to minimize the air exposure of the mixture so I don't have that issue, glad you stated that, now I'll be sure to take it a small step at a time.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"