NC road trip to pick up my pickup

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: NC road trip to pick up my pickup

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The Vbands I've bought in the past didn't slip over the pipe. They just butt up against it.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Had to fix the truck clutch. The fork and the pivot ball ate eachother. It looked ok until unassembled. Apparently it's a wear item for this setup! haha Clutch pedal felt like it was getting harder to push and it actually bent the fork too. Which was also eating the throw out bearing.

So I replaced it all and did the whole clutch too since it was so cheap. New one is a stock 1-ton clutch that is much more wife-friendly than the HD one that was in it. Pedal is super light now! Huge difference.

Had to do it in my old man's garage cause the Camaro is in pieces in mine. That's good though, cause it was a mess. Poor truck has seen a lot of salt over the last 7 years. Even my stainless exhaust is lookin ugly, and it snapped two of the T-bolts on the V-band clamps. Free fix though with the welder as long as it holds up.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Got to play in the snow with it this week. Got 30" in about 24hrs and the roads were the worst I've ever seen. I had to chauffeur the wife to work at the ER in the LimouZine71. Never got it stuck though! And I was the only one who made it in to work for 2 days. haha

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

You're a flip the wipers out fool too?

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

The fair parking lot got a little nasty, so I had to pull my uncle out. Then a friend's father. Then some Jersey guy. Then a minivan! haha

The minivan family gave my wife $100 for pulling them out. I didn't want to do it cause they couldn't hook to the axle and wanted me to pull them out by the seat belt. I thought it was just gonna break stuff and fill it with mud, but it actually came out really easy.

All in all, I only lost a tow strap cause my uncle didn't have a hitch pin to use my recovery strap. After we broke it I borrowed another hitch pin and could actually yank the recovery strap the way it's supposed to work. First time I've used it and it worked nice.

Wifey said I was famous. When she got back to the fair everybody was talking about the old truck pulling out new ones. One of the parking lot staff kids wanted me to SEND IT! haha

https://youtu.be/dHipLkOYmL8

I like the new look. Hides the rust.

Gorilla tape on the fender? Where?

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

That thing rocks. I love that era of gm trucks, mines much like it but only 2wd unfortunately.

Still fun, 3.73 rear w/nv4500.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I did not know about the high/low mode, thanks for sharing on that. Things that make you go, 'hmm.' :D
I picked up a spare dist. at the junk-yard last week -it was just sitting loose, and looks to have been rebuilt recently -ICM looked clean and the cap was good quality with brass contacts -not sure I should have spent $20 on it, but after rebuilding the unit from the new GTA a few weeks back, I decided it was worth while for zero effort. Besides, even the pick-up coils cost $10 now -last time I rebuilt one they were about three dollars! :shock: Currently, I run the same distributor in four of my cars, plus another one I'll be selling (soon?), so spares spares spares...

Glad to see you get your truck dirty -I never could get onboard with 'my truck is too nice to get dirt on the tires', although a friend of mine does have a super-nice '95 Z71 Short-Bed, and it wouldn't look like that still if he just 'trucked' it all the time, but he isn't afraid to use the bed of it either...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Haven't updated this in a while. I've been having fun with it in the snow. That's the only time I really get to powerslide it around. 4WD is great for that. The wifey got a video of me screwing around shortly after watching the new Hoonigan video with the Hoonitruck. I'll have to get it off her phone and post it.

A month or two the exhaust fell off. haha. It wasn't rust, the stainless cat just came "uncrimped" I think. The stainless is all looking pretty ugly at this point, but it's solid. Had a friend TIG it back together and fixed it in the cold driveway. I guess this is all the minor little bullshit I signed up for when I decided to cheap out and keep my truck instead of getting a 2010ish.

My garage is full of cars that I have nothing to work on, so I finally made a front hitch for it. I originally planned on modifying the stock rear hitch, but decided to build it from scratch with 2x2x1/4 angle I had and a Curt tube. That way I could make it fit absolutely perfectly with the winch mount I made for the trailer. And the front hitch is supposed to make maneuvering a trailer into a tight spot a lot easier...I can imagine it would be.

Oh yeah, and the new trailer I mentioned I did a little bit of modding on. Added the winch mount and set it up with some RaceRamps. Pics and info in the Beretta build thread.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I need to make a front hitch for the wife's Bronco II when I'm not rebuilding my garage... man the list of projects is getting LONG!

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Been a little stir crazy with nothing much I can do in the garage. So I Raptor Lined the deck cause it's super slippery when wet. I've used the spray Raptor on my truck and Camaro before, but this is a new roll-on kit that even came with some traction sand. Even easier than the spray kit!

I read that the front hitch makes maneuvering a trailer in a tight spot easier and oh man it's sweet. I only played with it a little bit, but it's pretty awesome.

Oh and there are a couple more pictures in the truck album I haven't posted yet. haha

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Snapped an ebrake cable I had to replace and I get depressed every time I look underneath it... haha

For a while I've been looking all over the country for a good deal on an eventual replacement and found one in Ohio that looks like a pretty good match. Black 94 ext cab short bed with the same 350/4l60e/7427 setup with a blown up auto and it's damn clean underneath. It has a smashed chrome grille and bent bumper (that I would replace anyway) and $1500obo probably means I can get it for $1200. I bet I can sell the wheels & tires for $500 and the engine for $200 and that leave me with a $500-ish shell to swap all my good stuff over to.

Anyway, since I had the truck in the garage I figured I'd try out the wheel spacers I bought and see if they are any good. I bought them when I also bought fender flares with the thought of covering my truck's rust, but my fenders had nothing left to screw the flares on to! haha Thinking of adding them to the new truck to block salt after blasting and bedlining the rust-prone areas. With spacers and no flares on it looks redneck x100! Does a nice job of slinging mud and snow, too.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

did you not bedline the whole frame on this current truck? Because if you did that clearly didn't help much...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I did, but it wasn't blasted first. I only cleaned it with soap and a pressure washer. It rusted from the inside out and flaked the liner off. That monster blaster my dad has should make this round last much better with proper prep.

Dude sent a bunch more pics today and I'm sold on it. Agreed to $1300 and I'll pick it up this weekend. Worst case scenario I'll have about $1000 in it. Plan is to remove engine, trans, bumper, grille, etc., and blast and line the bottom side. Probably should even do the fenders and box. I can get a lot done on the new truck before even taking mine apart to keep down time to a minimum.
IMG_2603.jpg

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

That looks decent. Good find, too bad it started out with a slush-box, but at least you can make that part right easy enough. :D

My friend just sold his '95 Z71 short-bed... I really liked that truck, and he kept it like new -I swear, standing next to it or riding inside, you would swear you got caught in a time-warp and the truck was only three years old... But, sadly the oil-cooler lines were NOT only three years old, and one let loose and dumped the oil-pan dry before he caught it, and ruined the engine. He got a decent price on it though, similar to what you are paying for that extended-cab -decent in that he only had a couple of days to get rid of it before the city towed it away...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

The fact that it's automatic to start is actually good. The 4l60e means it got the better 7427 computer, which is what my tune is based from (mine was auto too.)

Fun fact: there's 6'11" between the trailer fenders. Guy says tire to tire it's "just under 7ft". Haha

GEARHEAD dezign youtube