Finally done with the motor swap! has a bit of a miss. Video

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
SummitBalt08

Finally done with the motor swap! has a bit of a miss. Video

Post by SummitBalt08 »

Well after a few weeks finally got it running. But it has a miss when you give it gas. When i had it on a trailer last year (october) i put 20 in premium in the gas tank and last week i put 3-4 gallons of fresh gas and a bottle of injector cleaner. So i dont know if thats why its missing or not. Im going to put a new fuel filter after i get off work tonight hopefully that will help.

The first time it was fired up it was hard to keep it running had to give it gas or it would die. Then changed the crank sensor took the one off of the old motor and it idles pretty good. So thats why the alternator is off in this video. Had a battery charger hooked up to it.

Anyways, heres a vid.. this is obviously my first Quad 4 and i dont know if the oil pressure is supposed to be that high or not. Also i have never heard a Quad so i hope it sounds normal. And mind that i worked 4pm to 1:30 am and we started on the car around 2 or 2:30am and it was about 6:15 am or so when i took this video so i was tired as hell lol. When i opened the garage door the sun was starting to come up haha. This was friday night. By the time i got some sleep i had to be back at work yesterday at 4 so this is the first chance i had to post.

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh14 ... wap005.mp4

Any help or pointers is appreciated. Also that seat is out of my parts car for now. still waiting to get my carpet back ever since i undercoated the floor then the interior is going back in

-Shawn
Been on the Beretta Forums since '04
94 Black Quad 5 spd Z26 ->3500 6 spd ZR6

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
Travelor
Global Moderator

Re: Finally done with the motor swap! has a bit of a miss. V

Post by Travelor »

I edited the link, so it should be working now.

But I have to say.. Is the timing off? It really really sounds like something is touching that should not be touching....

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

I have no idea. It needed new flywheel bolts and GM discontinued them and couldnt find them anywhere so i hope that the ones that i was told will work isnt causing any problems. I have never seen or heard a quad 4 ho run before so i have no idea if anything off. Im hopin theres a way to drain the all the old gas and stuff. We have been trying to figure out the right way to bleed the clutch but no luck. Still working on it. Im think im going to search for a video on youtube of a quad 4 and see that.

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

Your timing sounds off me to by just a hair. I'd look into that.
Did you pull this engine and replace the head gasket before installing, or no?

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ

SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

I pulled the original motor out and put a new motor in. The old motor and the car itself have 147k on it, the new motor has 109k. I put all new waterpump and sensors and all kinds of crap. The only things i didnt replace because i didnt have enough money was the headgasket and the timing chain.

The miss it had was the fuel filter. Got it changed and when i took off the old one it seemed to be the original one. runs smooth. but we couldnt figure out how to get the clutch bled right. Thats the only thing left mechanically.

I guess the clutch feels fine, but it doesnt take much to push it down. I dont really know if the clutch is supposed to be heavy or if Beretta clutches are light. I had the car up on jack stands and tried every gear but it doesnt like to go in reverse without grinding. I tried putting it in reverse when the car was off, pushed the clutch down and started it and it stayed in reverse without grinding. But once i took it out of reverse while it was running it wouldnt go back in without grinding. Im lost

I got a couple more videos im about to start uploading i will post

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

I have the same style clutch hydraulics as that... You should just have to open the bleeder screw and let it run a bit until the air comes out.

Cliff Scott
KFLO 93 GT

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

You did reset the timing after installing the new water pump, right? The Q4 isn't the easiest engine to time - I'm on dial up so a video is out of the question, this is just coming from personal experience.

93 GTs
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

IIRC, all Beretta transmissions require a fifth gear shift before hitting reverse... This lines up the gears and prevents a grind.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

3400mod- I tried the 5th gear first thing at that time and that doesnt work either. I wish it did lol

Kurt- I didnt know i was supposed to reset the timing? I will have to look up how to do that. thanks for the lookout, come hell or high water this car will hopefully make some meets next year

Cliff- We tried that.. We tried not being on the clutch at all and letting it bleed, pumping the clutch while bleeding it (i wasnt pumping fast either), also tried pushing the clutch to the floor then closing it letting off opening it clutch to the floor. Totally lost. I know a couple people so i will try to work this out.

When we had it on Jackstands, even with the clutch ALL THE WAY DOWN, the wheels still turn.. Its like its not letting off the clutch the whole way.. I guess i have to wait even longer to drive this thing. It getting close to a year its been in the garage and havent been able to drive it yet LOL.

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
KFLO 93 GT

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

If you replaced the water pump and didn't reset the timing - good luck on not having valve marks in all of your pistons. I mean you had to pull the timing chain to get the water pump off, right? Did you look at a book or anything???

93 GTs
Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

That's why I have been saying to check the timing. Quads are loud, yes but that is far louder then mine. This engine sounds like a quad does for that 2 seconds after an oil change.

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

KFLO 93 GT wrote:If you replaced the water pump and didn't reset the timing - good luck on not having valve marks in all of your pistons. I mean you had to pull the timing chain to get the water pump off, right? Did you look at a book or anything???
I think that's only the twin-cam that has the water pump like that. The quad has a splined shaft.

Cliff Scott
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Ya that is definately noisier than mine even at 157K, but I did notice it got even quieter when I switched it over to Mobil 1.

As far as the timing issue, I know nothing about Quads and won't even venture into that area of the conversation.

They are fun to drive, but I wouldn't buy one for the sake of having a Quad.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
KFLO 93 GT

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

Cliff8928 wrote:
KFLO 93 GT wrote:If you replaced the water pump and didn't reset the timing - good luck on not having valve marks in all of your pistons. I mean you had to pull the timing chain to get the water pump off, right? Did you look at a book or anything???
I think that's only the twin-cam that has the water pump like that. The quad has a splined shaft.
Interesting and good to know. My b.

93 GTs