Ford windstars?

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
Barry
Global Moderator

Ford windstars?

Post by Barry »

Whats going on with them? Was the some mass recall that I cant find?

At the one junkard I go to there is 100-200 of them just sitting there waiting to be scrapped. They all appear to be in fine shape(not crashed or flooded). At another yard I go to they have 20-30 of them, and there all perfect. Its weird seeing a line of destroyed cars then a pile of perfect ford windstars right next to them.

I looked online and saw that ford is fixing some for "corrosion issues" but I have never seen a recall where they just scrap all of them.

Not that I actually care, just wondering

DTMAce

Re: Ford windstars?

Post by DTMAce »

Cause they were pieces of crap quite frankly.

Simple as that. Plus many were turned in during that cash for clunkers program. And those you see sitting probably came from some of that, which means they have to be scrapped, even the engines would have been supposedly destroyed with silicates.

Worst vans I have seen for corrosion were Generation 3 Caravans, many of the Chevy Ventures, and a lot of the Ford Winstars. My Gen 2 and 4 Caravans have held up well for corrosion in comparison.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

There was a recal of some sorts for them. My uncle took hi is for a repair and they said it was recalled and they could not return it to him. They gave him a rental until he could find something else he wanted. When he did, they cut him a check. I'll ask him what it was again tomorrow.

J

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
89 GTU 3500/5spd swapped 79k white
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Found a few articles....

Problem centers around corrosion of the rear axle and front engine/trans/steering mounts.

Axles would literally rot through and the mounts would rot off the frame. Over 400 thousand were recalled, mostly from the northern states (especially those that used salt)

Lots of horror stories if you do some searches. Yikes.

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

K_Watson

Post by K_Watson »

The rear axle cracks. Ford fixes it but there is no recall.

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

I beg to differ. I didn't pull up several articles that did not exist. Just do a search for Ford Windstar Recall.

As to whether the recall is advertised or not, I have no idea. It may have also had a time limitation. But at least 3 of the sites I looked at all talked about Ford recalling over 400 thousand vans. And they didn't look to be forums.

GTZryda

Post by GTZryda »

I work at a ford dealership as a ford tech. The recall is for 97-03 windstars for the solid rear axles rusting out and cracking in half, and the front subframe rusting and cracking around the two rear mounting bolts. They are looked over and if they are not starting to crack we put a support bracket on the axle/subframe. If they are starting to crack ford just replaces them. When this first started they just gave owners top dollar for the vans. There was only one I saw at my work were the rear axle crack all the way in half and blew out the rear tires.

90 GTZ W41
96 Z26
96 Twin cam