selling my car to pay for my car....questions

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
themadness

selling my car to pay for my car....questions

Post by themadness »

i'm selling my jeep to fund my 'retta fix up. i have never sold a car before to a private party. what is the best and safest way to sell? i live in nc and our dmv doesnt help much with questions.

i have the title. what else do i need?

just trying to get a general idea of what needs to take place. :fool:

Barry
Global Moderator

Re: selling my car to pay for my car....questions

Post by Barry »

They come to your house with cash, test drive your car (there car stays with you as collateral, or you could take drivers license or something), decide they want it, you go to notary with title(and registration if transferring plates), sign title over to them and say good bye.

If someone is over seas and they want to send you a check that you will split with them, and their shipping company will handle everything, it could, just could be a scam.

rettagurl

Post by rettagurl »

I always write up a contract saying the car is sold "As Is" and there are no refunds, etc and have them sign and you sign 2 copies and you keep one copy of it.

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins turbo Diesel
1996 Beretta Base 3100
SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

rettagurl wrote:I always write up a contract saying the car is sold "As Is" and there are no refunds, etc and have them sign and you sign 2 copies and you keep one copy of it.
Otherwise known as a Bill of Sale.

Basic list for you.

1. NEVER sign your title under the "seller" line until the money has changed hands. EVER.

2. Print a Bill of Sale off from the internet. Readily available for free on many sites. Just google "bill of sale".

3. Notary signature is NOT required in a lot of states. Find out if your state requires a notarized title.

4. Unless plates are transferred in your state to new owners ( a lot of states have done away with this practice) be SURE to remove your plates from the vehicle and any personally identifying information.

5. Make sure you save YOUR copy of the Bill of Sale just in case. If they do something wrong with the car or illegal before re-registering the car, you can PROVE down to the DAY that you no longer had possession of the vehicle.

6. Be sure you have paid off any liens against the title (ie: loan ,etc) and have the liens removed and a clear title prior to selling.

That's just the basics. Good luck mate.

berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

hold the car and title till the cheque clears... make a receipt stating you took a deposit on the car for them... i write the VIN # on the bill of sale too. clean under the seats... there could be $5 plus in change under there.

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks