Monte carlo

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
#1 stunna

Monte carlo

Post by #1 stunna »

I've been shopping around looking to buy a 02+ monte carlo for my girl . From what ive found so far 120k - 160k is going for around 3-4thousand. Anybody know the common problems for these cars? Seems that a few say they have new transmission , which doesnt sound to good to me for a car that is barely 10 yrs old.

88 beretta
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/517217
03 monte carlo ss
2.2H8TA

Re: Monte carlo

Post by 2.2H8TA »

I had an 02 LS with the 3400, and spoiler/sport suspension pkg. and I really loved that car. I bought it after it had been hit, for cheap with a clean title a few years ago, with 50k on it.
I had some cheap body work done, and drove it till 85k, then I traded it for my 96 Z26 with 60k on it last May.
I only traded it because the body work was starting to show, and I didn't like the look of that at all.
Only thing I had to have done was lower intake manifold gaskets around 65k, much like all 3100's, and 3400's.
I had zero trans problems, and the car ran perfect when I traded it, but it still had fairly low miles on it.
I do kinda regret getting rid of it because it was so comfortable, and handled great with the sport suspension pkg.
If your looking at an LS, look under the hood for a strut tower brace, and that will tell you if it has the suspension pkg on it.
That was a factory option, and I believe the kit is also still available to purchase.
Mine also had the NASCAR type spoiler (don't know how to better describe it) not the ugly flat spoiler most others got.
To sum it up, they are good cars, and still seem to be fetching a good buck with low mileage, no matter how it's equipped.
Mine had a cloth int. no sunroof, and CD only. I attempted to sell it a few months before I traded it, and I literally got zero offers on it, and I was only looking for like $4500 for it.
I also attempted to trade it at multiple local small used car dealers, and many told me they try to stay away from them, and impalas of the same years, because they simply do not sell. I don't know why.
Hope this info is helpful. Good luck.
I can definitely see me getting another one in the future too, but next time it will be an '05 with a 3400, and the sport suspension pkg, leather and the sunroof. A few years away probably, gotta wait till they come down in price a bit more.

1994 AQUA ZED
SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Yes, monte carlo's eat transmissions. As do a lot of the 4t60e cars. NOT gm's best transmission at all. Not to mention the struts are a treat to do on a Monte if you've never done a set. Let me give you a hint. It's not a strut in the typical sense of the word. The word cartridge is used when describing a strut job on a MC.

I personally think they're crap boxes, but that's one mechanics humble opinion.

2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

The trans in the Monte Carlos with the 3400's is a 4t65e isn't it? I'm not completely sure, but I seem to remember that. They have the same problems the 4t60e's have?

1994 AQUA ZED
SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

You could be right, basically the same trans imo. Yes, I've had to replace more than a few in Monte's.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

4t60e was shelved in 99... so yes anything 00+ will be a 4t65e which was "supposed" to be better, and there are quite a few differences between the two.. some good and some bad.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Chazzman

Post by Chazzman »

GF's aunt and uncle have one. Bought it new in 03 and have not any problems with engine (3400) or trans. Just basic maintenance and deer collision repair a few times. Been a great car for them.

88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

I had an 04 SS Supercharged that I bought brand new. Very comfortable, somewhat quick for as heavy as it was, and handled ok in the SS uplevel suspension. Pretty boring until I dropped a few grand into the engine from ZZP, and lowered it with Eibachs, then it was more tolerable. No issues with the car at all. Traded it at 60k for a much more fun car.

J

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
89 GTU 3500/5spd swapped 79k white
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
#1 stunna

Post by #1 stunna »

Thanks for the info yall ... I still havent got me one yet. The 02 red ss with black leather int. , was my favorite and it was allready sold when i called . So im still looking . Could of got a pink ls 3800V6 for $2800 bucks , but pink jus aint my color (no offense jon lol)

88 beretta
03 monte carlo ss
#1 stunna

Post by #1 stunna »

Finally bought me a monte carlo today ... I'm loving it :Yahoo!: . I got a 03 ss blk/blk it stock , except its lowered and has 17" konig wheels. Nice car and i got it for a good deal.Has small oil leak but not major , think its coming from valve cover gasket . I may need some help as i dnt have a repair book yet and im a newb to the 3800 engine ~ I will post some pics soon for all to see.

88 beretta
03 monte carlo ss
#1 stunna

Post by #1 stunna »

My new ride...... :good: 8)
DSCI1337 (800x600).jpg
DSCI1341 (800x600).jpg
DSCI1342 (800x600).jpg
DSCI1345 (800x600).jpg

88 beretta
03 monte carlo ss
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

NICE! Makes me miss my LS even more, but I still love my Z. I like the wheels, and that leather int. looks really nice. What kind of mileage dose it have on it? The only thing I don't like is the spoiler. I hate the look of them with that flat spoiler, and without the spoiler at all. In my opinion, they only look good with the NASCAR type spoiler. Still... NOICE!

1994 AQUA ZED
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Those are nice cars. My mom had an 02 SS with the 3800 and it was a rock solid car. No issues at all. And it did handle great...one of those rare cars that handled great and rode great. It wasn't as stiff as any of mine. haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube