2.3l quad 4 question

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
NASCAR43

2.3l quad 4 question

Post by NASCAR43 »

I lost a potential buyer for my car due to his mechanic telling him the quad 4 is junk. I'm not up on my motors, but I haven't had any issues, although the car has less than 92k on it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

speedy

Re: 2.3l quad 4 question

Post by speedy »

well, they arent the best motors in the world, your best bet to sell it would be here or quad4forums.com they are pretty much a high maintence motor if taken care of will give you no issues what so ever, but problem is most people beat the living crap out of them and complain about the issues they have.

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
indygurl

Post by indygurl »

as speedy said they are high maintenance, They also blow head gaskets somewhat easily, but really would have no problem if you dont beat on it and keep up with oil changes ect. i want a quad. i love the way they look.

My 1990 Chevrolet Beretta Indy 3.1L 3 Speed Auto
scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

indygurl wrote:as speedy said they are high maintenance, They also blow head gaskets somewhat easily, but really would have no problem if you dont beat on it and keep up with oil changes ect. i want a quad. i love the way they look.
Correction: They blow the OE GM head gasket easily, switch to a Felpro head gasket and that issue goes away. It didn't matter if it was beat on or not or if you kept up on general maintenance. it was just a bad head gasket design from GM.

As for high maintenance, I change my oil and put gas in mine like any other car. I also look at my gauges now and then. I drive it year round and I am VERY hard on it! I had 2 issues that made mine run poorly.
1. A crack in a brittle nylon vacuum line.
2. Original catalytic converter came apart and plugged up.

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
Kris GTwhat?

Post by Kris GTwhat? »

Correct. I replaced the headgasket onmine shortly after i bought it, and havent had any problems since. I also ran a 50 shot of nitrous for about a year and a half and the motor held up fine. I love quads, and stock for stock, quad berettas > v6

1991 GTZ: RIP
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

Kris GTwhat? wrote:Correct. I replaced the headgasket onmine shortly after i bought it, and havent had any problems since. I also ran a 50 shot of nitrous for about a year and a half and the motor held up fine. I love quads, and stock for stock, quad berettas > v6
weird post...

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
Kris GTwhat?

Post by Kris GTwhat? »

Hey i said stock vs stock. (3.1 vs 2.3) and im sure you would agree erich. Haha. Now 3x00 vs quad and im all for the v6

1991 GTZ: RIP
quad4berettagtz
Administrator

Post by quad4berettagtz »

250,000 original miles on mine, I autocrossed it regularly for 4 full seasons, it road raced in '08 until the brakes were gone and not the motor, I still DD it every summer, and weekly it sees redline.

Any questions? ;)

People hear horror stories from all of the mechanics who had to change endless GM headgaskets back in the day, and think they are gold. This is the most reliable engine I have ever owned, and that includes the bulletproof Chevy 350...

Mike - Beretta.net Committee Chairman Emeritus
'90 Med Garnet GTZ<-awaiting heart transplant 295k
'90 Black GTZ SCCA Solo II #24 STS
'92 Quasar Blue GTZ <- rusted into a holding pattern