Saw an insane accident last night.

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
BerettaLove32

Saw an insane accident last night.

Post by BerettaLove32 »

**Warning, story is pretty graphic***

So I was driving to my girlfriend's house last night, I was getting on a stretch of road that is basically a small stretch of expressway. Speed limit is 50. I was on the entrance ramp going about 40 when I heard a really loud crotch rocket engine. To my left I see a crotch rocket and a new BMW flying by me. They had to be going close to 100. I watched them for about 400 yards as they were neck and neck racing each other. Then I see the BMW hit the brakes swerve left towards the crotch rocket and all you hear is a thud and a cloud of smoke. The guy on the crotch rocket slid into the guard rail. I got out of my car and starting running over as I was calling 911. As I got close I could see the guard rail took his head right off. It went off the bridge and took police some time to find. The BMW never stopped and from what i hear they were driving together so they may have been buddies. Basically the point of the story is think twice before racing. Having to see a body with no head is really something you can't explain unless it happens to you. One minute the guy is out on a nice summer night and right in front of my eyes, he's gone. He did have a helmet on but that obviously won't protect your neck when you hit a guard rail doing 100+. I spent 4 hours at the police station talking to investigators from multiple police municipalities.
They'll be able to get the plates of the BMW off a speed camera from an intersection. I have a feeling that guy is in some serious trouble. So slow down out there, leave the racing for the tracks. What a crazy way to start off the week.

GTU89

Re: Saw an insane accident last night.

Post by GTU89 »

BerettaLove32 wrote:**Warning, story is pretty graphic***

So I was driving to my girlfriend's house last night, I was getting on a stretch of road that is basically a small stretch of expressway. Speed limit is 50. I was on the entrance ramp going about 40 when I heard a really loud crotch rocket engine. To my left I see a crotch rocket and a new BMW flying by me. They had to be going close to 100. I watched them for about 400 yards as they were neck and neck racing each other. Then I see the BMW hit the brakes swerve left towards the crotch rocket and all you hear is a thud and a cloud of smoke. The guy on the crotch rocket slid into the guard rail. I got out of my car and starting running over as I was calling 911. As I got close I could see the guard rail took his head right off. It went off the bridge and took police some time to find. The BMW never stopped and from what i hear they were driving together so they may have been buddies. Basically the point of the story is think twice before racing. Having to see a body with no head is really something you can't explain unless it happens to you. One minute the guy is out on a nice summer night and right in front of my eyes, he's gone. He did have a helmet on but that obviously won't protect your neck when you hit a guard rail doing 100+. I spent 4 hours at the police station talking to investigators from multiple police municipalities.
They'll be able to get the plates of the BMW off a speed camera from an intersection. I have a feeling that guy is in some serious trouble. So slow down out there, leave the racing for the tracks. What a crazy way to start off the week.

That sucks, that would be horrible to see. I wonder what the BMW was doing? Swerving from a animal?

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

I have seen too many lives lost trying to save a car. Its human instinct to avoid collision as much as possible, but when racing sometimes this is a fatal choice. Many times its best to take the deer/curb/other car impact as opposed to avoiding it. Its a tough choice to make and you only get one shot.

The bmw leaving is also common, he didnt want to get in trouble for racing. Now hes looking at racing, leaving the scene, and possibly manslaughter. He will likely turn himself in soon if he is not arrested before that, I could never live with myself knowing I caused that.

This same thing happened to one of my best friends. Racing on a highway curve, other car gets in his lane, and to avoid contact he put his car into the wall, spinning him out and into the woods at retarded speed. The other driver didnt get in trouble and didnt have the balls to show up at his funeral.

Kris GTwhat?

Post by Kris GTwhat? »

pics or it didnt happen

1991 GTZ: RIP
Koots

Post by Koots »

That is insane!

I don't think there is much that can prepare you for seeing something like that with your own eyes...

BerettaLove32

Post by BerettaLove32 »

I think there was another car ahead of them that he was slowing down for but I'm not 100% sure. They were going so fast it was hard to tell exactly what happened at the moment of the crash. It is possible the bike just didn't slow down and wiped out.
And taking pics of a dead body just didn't seem right.
I've always heard stories about people who went through something that made them appreciate their life and not take it for granted and after seeing a guy lose his life in a matter of seconds right in front of me is one of those moments for me.

K_Watson

Post by K_Watson »

Kris GTwhat? wrote:pics or it didnt happen
It happened...

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1313 ... crash.html

"not wearing helmet" says examiner, again not that it would have mattered.

That sucks, a person should never have to see such things.

themadness

Post by themadness »

number one reason i dont and will never ride a motorcycle. or as i prefer to call them....two wheeled death machines. even if you arent racing, most people just dont pay attention to bikes. plus they are almost impossible to see when they get in the blind spot just right. harley davidsons are huge around here. my old man got plowed when a guy tried to beat a light and didnt win. he only got bumps and bruises but life got real for him after that. weird enough harley riders here are the older population compared to crotch rockets so the accident rate is a little lower. but drinking and driving on those things is becoming an issue lately. its only a matter of time before something like this happens. they have "black bike week"(not racist, thats what they call it) down at myrtle beach. IIRC south carolina doesnt have a helmet law and those guys do "tricks" on the rockets. we happened through there one summer years ago and as we pulled off from a light a guy came by us doing about 40mph on just the front tire. he rode through the light on the front tire for about 50 yards before it started wobbling. he put it down safely but damn it was sketchy for a minute. crazy stories like some dude wrecking and sliding on the pavement until the back of his head ground down flat. pure insanity.

maybe the bimmer lost control a little and tapped the bike enough to take him out. either way its a real bitch move to run and leave something like that....

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Kris GTwhat? wrote:pics or it didnt happen
You have been warned. Be a bit more respectful than that. That response to that type of description is completely unnecessary.

I work with someone who collided with the side of a car pulling out of an intersection, He was in full race gear boots, pants, jacket, helmet, everything the whole nine yards... I know for a fact that he was speeding but at the same time the individual he hit was DUI and pulled out into the road without looking, He lost his left arm at the elbow and pulled every nerve/tendon off of his spine for the remaining part of his arm so its completely useless. He also broke his legs in about 4-5 spots.... He now is technically disabled at 38yrs old. Anyway you slice it those bikes encourage speed and people who buy them just want to go fast and my co-worker and this story are prime examples of what happens when your careless, which most of these riders end up being.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

I've been riding a motorcycle for 41 years. I've never gotten a ticket been in an accident. So it can be done safely.
If something does happen, you have to realize you have no protection so you have to ride with that in mind and be very careful.
My bike was one of the first that came from the factory able to do ten seconds in the quarter mile. I doubt I ever rode over
80 mph on it but I do love the pull I feel when I crack it open. I actually bought it because it a was a last year clearance model.
The way people drive these days I know I should sell it but I still enjoy the occasional ride. Heck if we gave up everything
that has some kind of risk, we'd never do anything. I know guys that have been seriously hurt riding their bicycles.
I live close to the tollway. Late at night or early morning, I occasionally hear the sound of some bike
going, at God knows what speed, and I actually pray I don't hear the sound of him wiping out or hitting something.
So far I haven't heard that terrible sound yet.

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

Every year there is a bike accident at the nearest intersection to my house. I hear extremely loud harleys and crotchrockets driving by doing over 100mph, then a car pulls out in front because they dont see them before they crest the hill and boom. there is always one of those little shrines across from my driveway. Harleys are extremely popular here I sometimes see more of them then cars on my 4 mile drive home from work. I havent ridden a mc since last year, but I still have my MC license and my other bike is still in pieces and in no hurry to get it together now.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

themadness wrote:number one reason i dont and will never ride a motorcycle. or as i prefer to call them....two wheeled death machines. even if you arent racing, most people just dont pay attention to bikes. plus they are almost impossible to see when they get in the blind spot just right. harley davidsons are huge around here. my old man got plowed when a guy tried to beat a light and didnt win. he only got bumps and bruises but life got real for him after that. weird enough harley riders here are the older population compared to crotch rockets so the accident rate is a little lower. but drinking and driving on those things is becoming an issue lately. its only a matter of time before something like this happens. they have "black bike week"(not racist, thats what they call it) down at myrtle beach. IIRC south carolina doesnt have a helmet law and those guys do "tricks" on the rockets. we happened through there one summer years ago and as we pulled off from a light a guy came by us doing about 40mph on just the front tire. he rode through the light on the front tire for about 50 yards before it started wobbling. he put it down safely but damn it was sketchy for a minute. crazy stories like some dude wrecking and sliding on the pavement until the back of his head ground down flat. pure insanity.

maybe the bimmer lost control a little and tapped the bike enough to take him out. either way its a real bitch move to run and leave something like that....
They are not death traps. You just can never let your guard down. When I ride I always expect every car to blow every stopsign, and assume nobody can see me. If you ride responsibly with defense you will be fine. When your on a bike the road is wide for you. I have been cut off twice but no contact because there is so much room on the road to dodge cars. You just can never let your guard down, as most people do driving cars.

themadness

Post by themadness »

but doesnt that defensive driving take the fun out for you just a little?

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Not at all. It keeps me alert. Without that fear of dying all the time I would ride like a nut and would be dead probably.

BerettaLove32

Post by BerettaLove32 »

Shows how fast it all happened, I could have sworn he had a helmet on. I'm sure they aren't releasing details until thy "talk" to the BMW driver.