KYB struts RockAuto clearance

All craigslist, eBay, etc sale threads go here if you ARE NOT the seller
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

I just ordered two KYB GR-2 struts and two AC Delco strut mounts on RockAuto, all on clearance. With the universal 5% off code it came out to $113.56 shipped.

In case anyone could use a new set, they should still have a pair up on the site of each!

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: KYB struts RockAuto clearance

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Make sure they are what they say they are when you get them... some clearance item's are miss boxed or mix and matched components from old orders and such so just make sure they are identical.

Also take note of the different terms on closeout items... Not the same warranty.
Q: What is a "wholesaler closeout"?
A: Briefly, closeout parts:

• Parts acquired in bulk at discounted prices
• Limited availability
• Cannot be replaced with regular inventory at the same price
• May differ from regular inventory in design, construction, and included accessories, but differences do not affect overall fit and function
• Have a 30 day warranty/return policy

For more detailed information about closeout parts, see below:

"Wholesaler closeout" parts come from several circumstances: A manufacturer may discontinue certain part numbers or drop an entire product line. A distributor may switch from one brand of products to a competing brand. A store may decide to clear out slow-selling parts to make room for more popular items.

In circumstances like these, the seller is willing to accept a small fraction of retail value from someone willing to take all the parts at once. Wholesalers specializing in surplus inventory make these bulk purchases and then re-distribute the parts to other stores and distributors, or to overseas markets.

RockAuto is not a wholesaler of surplus inventory, but we work with some of those companies to offer their products to our customers. These parts are a tremendous value. They're new (or remanufactured), name-brand items that fit the same as our regular inventory, but because the wholesaler paid pennies on the dollar, we can afford to sell them for much less than retail price. In the case of discontinued parts, closeout inventory allows us to offer parts that otherwise would no longer be available at all.

In most cases in which a "wholesaler closeout" is offered, our catalog also offers the same part from our regular inventory, fully warranted, at regular price. Each customer can decide if the cost savings for closeout parts, in his or her situation, are enough to offset the slightly higher risk. Many of these parts have a limited availability, so when they are sold out, we can not offer an alternate regular inventory part for the same price.

Manufacturers make small changes to their parts over time without changing the fit or function. The part descriptions in our catalog are always based on the most current data and part designs available from our manufacturers. Wholesaler closeout parts, because of the nature of how they are obtained, tend to be older inventory. Because it is older inventory, wholesaler closeout parts may differ from the regular inventory in design, construction, and included accessories, but these differences do not affect the overall fit and function. For example, a ball joint in regular inventory might be painted black with no grease fitting while the older, wholesaler closeout ball joint of the same brand is painted silver with a grease fitting. The part for the right side might be a different color than the part for the left side. Differences in appearance could be important to some customers such as those preparing classics for exhibition at car shows.

Our regular return policy applies to everything we sell, including "wholesaler closeout" items. However, because we are buying these parts from a wholesaler, and not from the manufacturer or one of the manufacturer's authorized distributors, the manufacturer will not honor warranty claims on closeout items.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

I haven't ran into this issue yet, but I will keep it in mind when I receive them. The warranty I'm not too concerned with due to the price though. It's a gamble, but I'm also saving about $200 at the same time.

Slinky

Post by Slinky »

whiteretta wrote:I haven't ran into this issue yet, but I will keep it in mind when I receive them. The warranty I'm not too concerned with due to the price though. It's a gamble, but I'm also saving about $200 at the same time.
The last time i bought struts was from rockauto, they were KYB and when they came in they were bad..
But they were not on clearance ect, so i sent them back and exchanged them for good ones.

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The only good use of KYB strut is cut out the internals and put in a Mitsubishi Koni insert with my bushings ;)

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

I didn't even know that was possible, haha.

They'll have to be better than my Gabriel's. I can't keep a set of them for more than about two months without them blowing out since it sits so low.

DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

The struts I bought from RA for my Quasar GTZ came pre-blown... I guess they'd sat so long that they weren't any good anymore. Still need to swap them out.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

They should be here by the weekend more than likely, I'll check them out as soon as I get them. You've all got me worried now!

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

whiteretta wrote:I didn't even know that was possible, haha.
*facepalm*

It's a sticky in the suspension thread...

I just updated it with the Mitsubishi info.

http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 675#p65675

Both of my cars are fully adjustable Koni suspension. J-body fronts, and Saab rears on the Indy and Thunderbird rears on the 96.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

That's pretty clever. I never noticed the stickies topic either, never something I would have looked for as a stickie in the first place, lol. Didn't think a lot of people did it.

I've heard from many people on the forum using KYB's in the past, but until now I'd never heard anyone even mention the Koni inserts when suspension questions arose, so I never thought to look up information on it.

Facepalm unnecessary, lol. Good information, regardless.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well, Currently I was the second one to do the Koni j-body swap... a long time ago Steph and Erich did the J-body inserts on the GTZ they had and prior to that some users actually have Beretta specific Koni's that didn't require a spacer/bushing to fit the strut body. I kinda brought it back to life because I needed something to prevent the front from lifting when leaving the line at the drag strip and a adjustable rebound shock is a good place to start. I was also sick of the subpar quality coming from KYB and how quickly those would die with lowering springs.

Soon after I started getting everything together Koni started to discontinue parts... Which really sucks. They discontinued the J-body inserts and the only shock that fit the 95+ rear suspension. I got lucky and got two sets of J-body's and the thunderbirds before all this happened, I also had the SAAB shocks from when I tested them on the pink car so that's how I ended up with 2 full Koni cars. I believe the SAAB shock is still available so anyone with a pre 95 car can still get that and the Mitsubishi's and end up with a nice suspension setup.

The facepalm is more for the fact that we have this forum with so much information on it and regular users don't know about things that are right at the top of each section... I don't know how else to get the information out there.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

I don't know how I missed the stickie then, probably just wasn't thinking about it. The parts just arrived today, so I'll have a chance to start digging into them tomorrow. Maybe someday I'll look into doing inserts, but for now I'll be happy not having Gabriel's on it.

whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Well, one strut was toast. Pushed it down and it stayed compressed. The other is fine, but I'm not feeling too confident. They're sending me another to replace the bad one, if they don't feel equal they'll both get returned and I'll go another route.

whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Strut bellows -

The one on the left is listed for all years, where the one on the right is listed as an option for '92 and up. Why the shorter bumper, for more travel?

Which would you use? Keep in mind the car is equipped with a set of Canuck springs. I figure the more travel is better since the travel is already going to be compromised, but will the longer bumper keep them from blowing out as fast by limiting the travel the extra 3/4"?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Completely different upper mount design that's why it's shorter. The all year listing one is BS...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"