Would this exhaust sound good?

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Just got a crazy idea. What if I had my UltraFlo, and before it, the pipe T'ed off and when to another tail pipe. The best path of flow would be straight through the muffler, but sound/gas could still go off the T and straight out..

This would give me dual exhaust look, and possibly more sound. My UltraFlo supposedly sounds good from behind my car (I've been told) but I can barely hear it at all inside the car. I have no resonator (straight tig welded pipe replaced that) but have the stock cat. I know I could get rid of the cat for more sound, probably sound real good...

But my question is how would this sound? Has anything like that been done before?

BTW off topic, but Z26 stock mufflers have a throaty rumble to them. Bases are bone quite. I've been around 3 Z26's and they all had loud stock mufflers. In fact when you are in the car and start it you can hear it rumble up. My UltraFlo is silent compared to that!!!

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

It will sound like crap IMHO. Had just one of the mufflers on my truck go bad.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Did the muffler fall off or did it get a leak? Leaks sound bad. This setup would cause most of the flow to go through the ultraflo, and not much gas but some would come though the T side.

I thought Borla? had something like this I saw one time. It had one pipe through a muffler, and another came off and had no muffler. I think it had washers in the end to adjust the loudness of the non mufflered pipe....

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

it got a hole so I cut it off to get a new one (lifetime warrenty).

Borla has that for the Camaro's/Firebird's.  Ive listened to a few and always think it sounds best with the 1/3 of the pipe sized restrictor in it otherwise the sound level is majorly off from side to side.  It comes with 4 different restrictors full closed->full open.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Ah ok, I knew this idea was done similar before.

What if I were to put 1/3 restricter in there then? Z26 tips have sort of a washer resticter in them anyways But I'd have to do more on the non-mufflered side...

I bet I could get it to sound ok. But what would it sound LIKE? hmm. I did love the sound of the straight pipe when I hacked off the muffler and put the new one on... Perhaps it would mix both sound and I'd have aggresive sound at all RPMs and idle! hmmm.

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

Post by Guest »

I have a flowmaster and its awsome.  You have so many choices.  Loud outside and inside or quite inside.  Different sounds and everything. Check that out!