Catalytic Converter Size muffler

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
Racing_Rush

Post by Racing_Rush »

Ok when I got my exhaust done they did a shitty job welding it, I looked it was strait and true turned away while he welded and when he finsihed it was crooked.  Really crooked.  

But thats not the main issue that I have with this crappy exaust, I hate how it hangs down low and its one of the lowest things on my car.  What I want is a 2.5"  exhaust system with a muffler where the Cat goes to quite things down then have a side exit exhaust.

I am sick and tired of seeing it hang down and I am tired of the stupid heat sheild which I will be taking off since it is no longer required.  Blah.

I want an exhaust system thats not going to make me mad, so it has to be quiet (not silent but not noisy) and I want to goet some power gains.

What muffler options do I have or should I just take some measurements and go to the exhaust shop and get something ordered?

1991 Cavalier Z24- Racing seats, MSD wires, relocated MSD coils, 2.5" exhaust, ported exhaust manifolds, high volume oil pump, poly grafite front end, 92+ brake upgrade, drilled and slotted rotors, 1.5" lowering, 17" Klasse wheels...

Future Plans: 18's, paint, rear discs, more horsepower...
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

2.5" down pipe into a short, wide, but flatish type muffler would be the thing you'd want.  
Then add a baffle to make it less loud if its still annoying.  
It's still going to rumble kinda loud.

IIRC:
I my self have 2.5" mandrel bent tubes from the down pipe back with no CAT, Muffler, or Baffles (Any more) .  
I like it.

_________
-------------
Racing_Rush

Post by Racing_Rush »

Well I cut off the muffler yesturday... It was a little loud, maybe a little too loud.  It certainly needs a muffler for my taste.  I like it. But I would perefer it a little quieter.  

I went to a performance shop the other day and a Flowmaster Hushpower is what they recommended at like $185cnd whew to much.  Its stainless steel 24" overall length, 5.5" wide, and 4" tall.  ALmost perfect except the price. IMO you dont pay for a muffler that can last a life time when you only want to drive your car for 1-3 more years.

So I went looking for some aluminized mufflers and I found a Dynomax Ultraflow round muffler but i cant find a price for them.

I just stumbled upon a round body Magnaflow muffler on ebay for $60 US with free world wide shipping which is what I may end up going for.  Comes to my door for less than $80 cnd.  6" Round, 20" overall length, 14" body lenght.

1991 Cavalier Z24- Racing seats, MSD wires, relocated MSD coils, 2.5" exhaust, ported exhaust manifolds, high volume oil pump, poly grafite front end, 92+ brake upgrade, drilled and slotted rotors, 1.5" lowering, 17" Klasse wheels...

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I hope that ebay muffler isn't a watermelon/wet fart sounding muffler.  What is the inlet/outlet for the ebay canister?

_________
-------------
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

You can get ultraflows aluinized ones for around 60. They will be best for performance since it's straight through. (mangaflows are same technology btw).

I was lucky and got my UltraFlo Stianless Steel on ebay for the same price as the aluminized one. It's 304 stainless and stays shiney unlike flowmasters...

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
Racing_Rush

Post by Racing_Rush »

Yeah still not sure, I want something thats going to quiet it down significantly cause its almost strait pipe now.  A lot of muffler shops are reccomending resonators.  Some of them are like $20 and they have them there so its hard to argue with a price like that.  Especailly since teh total cost for the whole system could be like 200-250cnd.

How loud is it with the ultra flow?  I sort of want to keep a low profile having this loud exhaust is turning to many heads To bad they dont make exhaust that gives you all the power of strait pipe but as quiet as a luxuery car.

Racing_Rush

Post by Racing_Rush »

What do you guys think would do a better job of quieting the exhaust and giving me more power.  Also I have very little backpressure and I loose a lot of low end power it seems.

Its between a resonator and a magnaflow round muffler.

I figure I am just doing from the "cat" back, I will do the down pipe after my 3100 heads are on because the loaction is going to change.

gar187er

Post by gar187er »

quiet = losing power

side exhaust = loud

keep it stock outlet with a turbo muffler if you dont want any noise...

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
Racing_Rush

Post by Racing_Rush »

Well I will agree with you about side exhaust being loud.  I ended up bolting my old exhaust system back on temporarily till I figure out exactly what I want to do and get all the parts ordered up.

But I wouldnt agree with quiet exhaust losing power, thats an old way of thinking.  Now adays companies like flowmaster and even OEM mufflers use great noise cancalation technology which results in great power with little sound.  

I found the turbo muffler that I have didnt give me any more power, wasn't loud enough, and just plain looked ugly because its so visible because of the bumper.

I am probly going to end up making my own exhaust system so that its mandrel bent  and not crush bent.  Its probley going to be 2.5" just so I have lots of muffler options that can come right off the shelf.  I will replace my glass pack (sitting in catalytica converter palce) with a magnaflow round muffler.  then keep the exhaust close to the body to avoid the "hanging" exhaust and bring it up over the rear axle.  the I will bolt up a small chrome muffler with a nice 3" round tip.  I figure its going to cost me about $300 or less since I am welding it all myself.

I may not put in the first magnaflow muffler and see how it sounds with a single muffler, and if its just a little to loud I might even weld up a high flow Cat.

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

I recommend a dynomax super turbo. parts stores by me have them in stock for like $45

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
Racing_Rush

Post by Racing_Rush »

I wouldnt mind getting a reasonator to reduce the sharpness and one of those round import mufflers.  I definatly want something thats shiny and small if its sticking out the back.  The biggest pet peeve i have about the exhaust is the 1 foot of tail pipe. that looks like ****.  IMO