Muffler Placement

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
HateMyAuto

Muffler Placement

Post by HateMyAuto »

Has anyone put a muffler in the "hump" after or in place of(shh, we won't tell...) the cat? I was thinking about doing that in order to be able to have more freedom in routing the pipe and was wondering how it affected the sound.

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro
Cliff8928
Administrator

Muffler Placement

Post by Cliff8928 »

I have a Moroso Spiral-Flow muffler right after the cat on mine.  Can't really tell you how it would've sounded with the upgraded exhaust out the back because i never had it there since the engine swap.  It's loud though.

Cliff Scott
gar187er

Muffler Placement

Post by gar187er »

how are you trying to route your exhaust?

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
1988GTU

Muffler Placement

Post by 1988GTU »

Take that image and alter it to what you are trying to do and someone may then know what you mean.  
I personally would think you couldn't find a small enough muffler to fit in that spot and be quiet at the same time.

_________
-------------
HateMyAuto

Muffler Placement

Post by HateMyAuto »

It doesn't necessarily have to be quiet, i was just wondering how the bends affected the sound. The reason I ask is because i need to replace my exhaust (damn winter!) and i would like to be able to go back to it at some point and have the flexibility to maybe run the pipes out the center of the bumper, or maybe duals.

'94 Camaro
nitrofish

Muffler Placement

Post by nitrofish »

Do it and see what happens.  If its too loud you can always put another muffler in the original position, but you said you don't really care how loud it is so I say go for it.

Devon Whitman
94 Quad Zed
Bfest's Quickest Normally Aspirtated Quad 4
HateMyAuto

Muffler Placement

Post by HateMyAuto »

How loud it is isn't exactly an issue, i doubt it would be too loud for me with any type of regular or performance muffler(not glasspacks though). It's really more an issue of the sound itself, will the extra bends from the pipes the the exhaust now has to go through after the muffler distort the sound to the point to where it sounds just bad. It's not an issue of quantity of sound, it's quality.

EDIT: Flowmaster just came out with a muffler that is roughly the size of a cat and will fit with a bit of finessing.

'94 Camaro
wil_wil2

Muffler Placement

Post by wil_wil2 »

The further the muffler is from the tail pipe, will increase the audible sound the exhaust produces(the louder it will become), And the more bends you have the more rasp it will have.