Headers Pics

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
wht89gt

Headers Pics

Post by wht89gt »

piaras great job on those headersand to be honist iwouldnt mind having a set for my beretta with a 2.8 liter in it and while i am admiring your beretta i wish i had a body kit like yours for my 89 beretta

Headers Pics

Post by Guest »

What kind of performance gains did you get outta those? Thinking of doing a set myself.

piaras

Headers Pics

Post by piaras »

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I made this set for myself. Back in '92 they were $400 for the parts and JetHot coating. My labour and help from a good TIG welder and a bottle of Crown Royal.

Im glad that it did cause interest on your part. The Primary tubes are 1.5", with the frt set 32" long and the rear set 28" long. You might say why, but the reason is that I wanted to have the peak torque enhanced on both sides of 3000 rpm. In talking to the tech guys at Hooker, Hedman, Edlebrock, etc -  this was the way to go. It is not perfect as it is not an open system but you do notice the torque coming on before 2500 rpm where before it was at 3000 rpm. The motor will spin right up to the rev limiter of 6200 with no problem in any gear.

The down pipe at the collector is 2.5" and I had flared it out to 3" at the cat. You need to use the 2.5" to clear the frt roll bar and the firewall. Originally I had 3" all the way to the muffler but I currently just have a 2.25" cat back stainless system that was installed in 1997. They did not have the dies to bend the 3" pipe at the time.

In interest of increased power and preformance. Think of adding 10 to 15% and that is what you will get. How to gauge that is quite simple. To make hp you must burn fuel. I saw an increase in my mpg of approx. 15% in the summer. This generally will also state that the HP also increased by about the same.

Another thing to do is cut off the short inlet and outlet flares on the cats and make them longer. 6" for the inlet and 5" for the outlet, both with 3" pipes. This is the way to increase the gas flow thru the cat. The short flares force the exhaust to use the center of the cat and the outside 25% is not used as much. You can tell be looking in the inlet side with a light and you will see only a round black stain in the center of the matrix. The longer flares allows the exhaust to spread and use more of the matrix.
This was proven in Popular Hot Rodding article 1981. I can not find the issue at the moment but it was in '81. On building headers, you can also look at Car Craft  -February 1991, "Header Up and Move'em Out" and Hot Rod  -September 1990 "Dream Pipes - How to build your own headers"

Ok I found the issue - Popular Hot Rodding Yearbook 1981 page 16 - 19 Titled "Catalytic Converter Conversion for Power and Economy"

I hope you do build a set. It is the cheapest way to increase HP.

Had 88 Beretta GT since new, Updated to 93 brakes in 94, Reinforced front lower control arms, All poly bushings fr/rr,
Long tube headers in 1992, CAI setup from Honda CRX
bbeck

Headers Pics

Post by bbeck »

first of all, the headers look great... I may actually get around to building a set if I can gather some money before my school takes it all....  I was wondering what you did with your maf on your cai.  I don't see one there- just curious.

piaras

Headers Pics

Post by piaras »

The car was converted to Speed Density from MAF after several failures of the MAF while under warranty. This involved a PROM change and the MAF stayed in place as it had the MAT sensor built in. I installed a new MAT sensor by the new air filter and removed the no longer needed MAF sensor.

Had 88 Beretta GT since new, Updated to 93 brakes in 94, Reinforced front lower control arms, All poly bushings fr/rr,
MY91GT(Z)

Headers Pics

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

hey would u be interested in makin some cause theyre would be a fair share that would like them that cant afford to do the 3400 swap and the headers for them look like they will be made. by the way really like the way the headers look cant imagine how they perform

93 GT cammed 3500 TORSEN, headers,intake,wilwood,poly/delrin mounts, 2.5 S.S,Exhaust,dickman kits,GTUspoiler,Euro headlights-tails-mirrors-fender flares-spoiler,Intrax/Koni,91+blk interior,rr disk swap,s.s.clutch line
piaras

Headers Pics

Post by piaras »

Currently I am not looking at building headers due to time. Building a house and that is a huge adventure of time and $$$$. But in the future???