Headers Pics

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
piaras

Headers Pics

Post by piaras »

I have posted new pics of the headers on my web site for those who are interested in custom design headers and would like a view of what I came up with. This may give you a few ideas for your own systems. Check out http://wrx-now.tripod.com and look to the Beretta page.

Had 88 Beretta GT since new, Updated to 93 brakes in 94, Reinforced front lower control arms, All poly bushings fr/rr,
Long tube headers in 1992, CAI setup from Honda CRX

Headers Pics

Post by Guest »

looks nice, i want to do something like that for my 2.0. how long did it take you to come up with the design?

piaras

Headers Pics

Post by piaras »

I had made these pipes way back in 1992. I had kept alot of the articles out of Hot Rod etc that talked about building your own headers and also talked to tech people at Hooker/Hedman and others for their ideas and tips, (flange thickness for one and pipe length/OD). I used heavy wire to represent the pipes and bent them in the shape that seemed to work out the best. I also had a spare 3.1, (which I still have) and I used this for mock ups. When I got to cutting pipe, I used the spare and the engine in the car to do final fit prior to welding. In the end I got really good at removing the OEM exhaust and test fitting the pipes. At I was working and had my motorcycle to move about with, I was not rushed but it all got done during the summer. The flanges were cut and shaped at a friend's place of work. You can not tell but they are 1/2" thick. A bit of overkill but they do not warp! PERIOD! All the welds were ground smooth and touched up as required. Beltsander does wonderful job, did not have an angle grinder. I then sent them off to Jet Hot and been using the pipes ever since. They have been recoated 3 times, once warranty and twice at an outfit near London Ontario.
If you have an other questions or want a different picture let me know.

Had 88 Beretta GT since new, Updated to 93 brakes in 94, Reinforced front lower control arms, All poly bushings fr/rr,

Headers Pics

Post by Guest »

hey thanks for the tech on the pipes. i might need to do that when the garage gets empty.

rweatherford

Headers Pics

Post by rweatherford »

Welcome.

Nice to have another original owner on the board.  I am not one, but we have a few here.  They are few and far between.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Headers Pics

Post by Guest »

well its gonna take me a while. im gonna wait till next spring/summer and i think i might do a 3400 or a 3800 swap and make my own intake and headers.

piaras

Headers Pics

Post by piaras »

Yeap, original owner. This spring the car is going in for body repair and paint. The foam around the fuel door reinforcement panel did its job. Hold the water and rust the panel! Excellent stuff. GM should be proud. Typical rust at the fender to plastic facia interface and the rockers are starting to show their age.
Overall the car has been good except for the weak brakes, now replaced and the usual water leaks, all on the driver's side.

Headers Pics

Post by Guest »

that sucks, the main thinkg my beretta needs is a better motor, a 5 speed, a new paint job and i would like to get a body kit for it. but all of this is put on hold since its winter.

1988GTU

Headers Pics

Post by 1988GTU »

If it didn't snow, it would be a different story.

_________
-------------

Headers Pics

Post by Guest »

well not only snow, but if it wasnt cold.

z284pwr

Headers Pics

Post by z284pwr »

Original owners here 253,xxx miles now....

I'm going to guess that GFX kit is a factory installed kit from '88, our '88 had a factory GFX kit, but I never figured out what it was, considering I was about 3 when the parents purchased the car.

Oh the headers look quite nice you could always make duplicated and sell them, and make a pretty penny, there are LOTS of people that would pay for them, sub $500 headers, whoa, you could really be in good shape, $1,100+ or so for JBP headers.... FYI
Oh and many people are jealous I'm sure

edit - Any chance you could fix you signature, many people won't like that huge picture....

edit 2 - here I'm bored....I did the work for you

Just put the link in your sig and you can just use that if you want

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
rweatherford

Headers Pics

Post by rweatherford »

Perhaps it was a dealer installed kit.  There was never a factory installed GFX kit on any of the Beretta models that I know of.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

z284pwr

Headers Pics

Post by z284pwr »

(rweatherford @ Dec. 12 2005,07:55)Q
U
O
T
EPerhaps it was a dealer installed kit.  There was never a factory installed GFX kit on any of the Beretta models that I know of.
Oh yeah you are right, I was thinking factory as in the dealer that installed it, duh  

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
piaras

Headers Pics

Post by piaras »

Actually I had only seen 2 cars to date that had this kit put on. Both from my dealer. My car and a white car that lost it's nose piece after a couple of winters.
The kit is from 3M and was installed by an outfit called TrimLine at the dealership. I was working at the dealership in the parts dept so I saw it all.

About the picture. I had never seen it open so therefore assumed that it was not functional. Thanks for the fix!

gtuturbo

Headers Pics

Post by gtuturbo »

Nice car!

I wonder if this GFX kit was only available in Canada?
I didn't see any Berettas with kits for at least a couple of years after they came out. Not in the states at least.
Only the Cars & Concepts stuff on GTU's...

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1