muffler talk, all about sound

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
KFLO 93 GT

muffler talk, all about sound

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

So... I'm about to buy the muffler that will finish my exhaust for the fourth different time.

But at this point my needs and desires have changed. I'm wanting a 2.5" in/out SS muffler to go on my 3400 / 5 speed set up. The car has headers and will sit finished with a full 2.5" mandrel exhaust and a precat cutout.

Having the cutout makes me not very concerned about flow but all the more concerned about sound. Most importantly is cruising sound and a nice throaty growl, but I also like the idea of being quiet when.necessary.

Woody has mentioned the Dynomax VT which I'm nearly sold on... but I'm skeptical about the longevity of a valve that lives in a muffler. On the other side a Flowmaster Super 44 may sound awesome and I'm not concerned about outright flow.

So......... I want opinions! What have you ran, heard.and/or liked?

93 GTs
weba

Re: muffler talk, all about sound

Post by weba »

Skip the Flowmaster, i bought one and the sound was unbearable, extremely ricey and annoying, it cut away all the low tones and let the high frequencies pass.

How is that even possible with V6? This was with 50 series Delta Flow. I swapped my old Magnaflow back in, muuuch better.

I guess it was because of the Flowmaster lacking any padding inside it, and my car also having steel cat converter.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I had a Flowmaster 40 and HATED it. A chambered muffler sounds good on a v8, but I didnt like it with the 6...at all. If I'm not mistaken, the 40 and 44 are basically the same thing with a different size case.

I really liked my Borla bullet, but that got to be very irritating with the 5spd. It would fart crackle & pop (as did the Flowmaster btw) when decelerating in gear, and it would never quiet down off the throttle like the auto did. Idle was loud, but sounded great, but cruise was also quite loud. I live in a town with lots of loud redneck exhausts, and I got pulled over with the Borla at least a half dozen times...and that was with the auto.

As you know, I love the Dynomax VT. It sounds just like the Borla under heavy throttle, but may be even quieter than stock at idle and light cruise. It can make for a good sleeper. And the valve will open part way under moderate throttle.

Most of the guys here can tell you the extreme difference in sound between my Borla and the Dynomax. Brendan and I both got pulled over at a NE meet for our exhausts...haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Kris GTwhat?

Post by Kris GTwhat? »

dynomax bullett. muahahah.

on a serious note, i have a flowmaster on my gtz right now, and i was very happy with the sound. i also get complimented all the time about how it sounds. like weba said, on a 4 cylinder once the motor opens up it sounds ricey as crap. down low it sounds great.

BUT, for a 3400, id check out hooker aerochambers. superdave was running them on his 3500 z24, and it sounded incredible at all rpm levels. check em out

1991 GTZ: RIP
3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

I too am running a hooker aero chamber. I know my car is turbo, and I have a 3" exhaust, but it is a bit too quiet for my taste. It does have a nice rumble to it though, and in no way is it ricey, irritating or drone like.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I might try to get a set of Aero Chambers for my Legacy... everything else out there is just way overpriced, and they are is glass packed rice type mufflers

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
KFLO 93 GT

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

An aerochamber is gonna be around 170 for what I want. That's too rich for my blood.

93 GTs
Berettas#1

Post by Berettas#1 »

Love my Aerochamber but mine was $85. Its not to loud but has a very good sound to it no pops or cracks for me with the 5 speed.

1995 Z26 auto 3100 spfi (sold)
1989 GT 5 speed 2.8 mpfi (crushed)
1993 GT 5 speed 3.1 mpfi (dd)
1988 GTU 5 speed 3500
1996 Base/Z26 hybrid 3400-3500 turbo 5 speed

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I had a Flowmaster 40 on my 90GT. It was loud, but the sound was good(that was a 3.1 though). I had to put two on it because they only lasted two years. With a cost of 150 to have one put on each time that killed the idea. On the 95 I have a Magnaflow. Really I don't like the sound, but it has been two years and I haven't had to get another.

keep'em flying!
Wanako

Post by Wanako »

I had a flowmaster 40 on my old 2.8. Loved it.

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

3X00-Modified wrote:I might try to get a set of Aero Chambers for my Legacy... everything else out there is just way overpriced, and they are is glass packed rice type mufflers
I had a max-flow on my old Volvo. It was loud, but the muffler itself was solidly built!

I have a corsa from a C5 to go on the Alero once the current setup dies. I think corsa does make some universal stuff and it's top-notch!

Cliff Scott
13's or bust

Post by 13's or bust »

i say go with a hooker aerochamber, thats what ill be getting on my z26. go to youtube and type in 3500Z its superdaves car find the one with exhaust cutout open and closed. hes got a hooker aerochamber on his, his sounds amazing.

"Berettas are like a sickness...and it's incurable." quoted from woody90gtz

96 z26, 3500 swap, currently awaiting Holset HX35 :) ,also 96 beretta, 3400 swap, rebuilt trans, 15.2 choked up with 3100 older uim & lim.
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

i like my edelbrock muffler when i had it on my first project car which will be going on soon when i do my suspension and i hate the fart muffler thats on it now

99GaGT3X00

Post by 99GaGT3X00 »

woody90gtz wrote: Brendan and I both got pulled over at a NE meet for our exhausts...haha
haha he was more interested in me even though yours was way louder than mine and that was with the Flowmaster 80.

3400/3500 Hybrid
227/233@.050 .515.515 lift 112LSA
15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400

99 Grand Am GT------03 Subaru Outback H6
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

99GaGT3X00 wrote:
woody90gtz wrote: Brendan and I both got pulled over at a NE meet for our exhausts...haha
haha he was more interested in me even though yours was way louder than mine and that was with the Flowmaster 80.
That's cause you look skeevy!

I looked at the Aerochambers too, but I'm very happy with the VT.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube