Turning

Have a favorite combination? Need new tires? What size wheels fit a Beretta? Ask here...
ipanda7

Turning

Post by ipanda7 »

(if this is in the wrong section, please move it.)
Hey retta owners,
Got a question and didn't know where to look.

Reference: 88 base/4 spoke steel 14's

Is there any sort of way I can decrease my turning radius? (i.e.) take less than a city block to pull a u-turn.
I've heard some people swapping knuckles from other cars or smaller tires. But I actually plan on moving up a few tire sizes soon. So that's kind of out of the question. Any compatible knuckles we can use, or other ideas?
I'll check back in a month when I've turned around. :|

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Re: Turning

Post by heavywoody »

You can swap in a steering rack from a GTZ (a 90 I believe?). They have a smaller turning radius lock to lock (I don't remember the actual number of turns, so I won't falsify that info here).

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
KFLO 93 GT

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

Even just swapping to a rack from a GT would give fewer turns lock to lock on the steering wheel.

The thing is, the wheels aren't going to turn a sharper degree and wheelbase certainly isn't going to decrease - so the actual circumference of the turning circle isn't going to decrease.

93 GTs
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

You have to shorten the steering arm on the strut. Or find a new rack with more travel. Rack ratio does not effect turning angle.

Look into drift knuckles for BMW and nissan. It will show you what to do

beretta

Post by beretta »

i would be afraid of it turning too far and taring the cv shaft boots or taring the cv shaft up.

Just pull the e-brake if you want to do a 180. or park so your facing the other direction lol.