Loud humming unless turning right..

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
GTU89

Loud humming unless turning right..

Post by GTU89 »

Okay, it has been doing this for a few months now, the GTU seems to hum very loud at speeds about around 35-ish MPH.

When it started doing it it was only around 45-50+MPH, it does it when going straight and when turning left, but stops completely when turning right. And it seems when rebounding from a bump it'll stop for like half a second.

Wheel bearing? Any guesses?

Barry
Global Moderator

Re: Loud humming unless turning right..

Post by Barry »

Front right wheel bearing

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

GTU89 wrote:Wheel bearing?
yup

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

All the autoparts I checked say you need to buy the whole hub assembly for $50, assuming that is true?

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

GTU89 wrote:All the autoparts I checked say you need to buy the whole hub assembly for $50, assuming that is true?
Yes, It's a sealed bearing assembly, aka one piece.

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

Jacked it up (both sides) and checked for play, did not notice really any play. Still think its a bearing?

Also forgot to add that it is pulling to the right, I think that started at the same time as the humming did. Thinking that is just an alignment issue, but doesn't hurt to give all the info

Caddy

Post by Caddy »

Sounds like right front hub bearing. The pull could be caused by the bearing. While you are there check for the brake caliper hanging up.

GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

autoteck wrote:Sounds like right front hub bearing. The pull could be caused by the bearing. While you are there check for the brake caliper hanging up.
Alright, so it's probably bad enough to cause the pulling and very annoying hum, but not bad enough that there is excessive play?

Offtopic, but I noticed it earlier while turning the wheels to get the jack in under the control arm, do our cars not have locking steering columns? I couldn't figure out how to lock it.
Last edited by GTU89 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Agreed, its your bearing. Mine were tight but both were bad the last time I changed them.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

DTMAce wrote:Agreed, its your bearing. Mine were tight but both were bad the last time I changed them.
Alright, think it's both or just the right side?

Side note, I was setting up an account at Advance Auto and they actually have a listing for GTU's

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Could be just the right side. Just don't forget to put the seal in the steering knuckle. If you don't you will have to replace the bearing/hub again and much sooner than you would think.

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

No idea. But I always replaced them in pairs, same as ball joints. Never wanted to do the job twice. And second to the bearing seals. You will have to either drop the ball joint or pull the tie rod end to get the axle out of the hub so you can replace the seal.

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

Just figured I'd update, I'll probably be installing the bearing assembly tomorrow. Or at the very least have it on hand to do soon.

It's defiantly getting worse, now it does it at around 30mph, guess I should really do it soon. Any special tools I'll need to rent?

I'll be getting this one: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... chTerm=hub

Cheapest, I know.

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Yeah, it certainly is. 50 bucks I see. RockAuto has them for 40 and up, Timken brand is 48. You have shipping on top of that, but you can also use a 6% discount code off the order as well to offset that some.

But, hey, if it works it works.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

It is best to buy a good brand of bearings. Cheap ones don't last long.

I saw something that put the fear of wheel bearings in me long ago. This Monte Carlo was sitting right on the line at a stop light(it looked like a normal stop). I looked over as I pulled up and saw fear in all three kids faces. So I looked down at the front end and the wheel, rotor, caliper and the brake line were gone. I looked around and they were no where to be seen. I said to the GF "that's it, I'm changing the wheel bearings next weekend". Mine were making some noise at the time. Just an FYI story there for you. All I could think about was what if that happened on the highway. Those kids were lucky.

keep'em flying!