TB help

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
StevenJMcTowlie

TB help

Post by StevenJMcTowlie »

So today I decided to clean my TB. I took the whole thing off and completely apart. Removed the IAC and TPS while cleaning. Once I got it all back together and started it it is running really ruff and even at idle I can hear it sucking a lot of air in through the intake. I checked all around the TB for a leak and it is sealed up good.
I am wondering if maybe I messed up the way the IAC or TPS are supposed to be set??

themixer

Re: TB help

Post by themixer »

what type of engine is in your car?

StevenJMcTowlie

Sorry, probably would have been good info to include. It's a 91 3.1

themixer

Post by themixer »

did you happen to crack the vacuum lines that attach to the top of the TB? its also possible to crack them under the intake just from moving it around too much

StevenJMcTowlie

They look good. The air is all being pulled through the intake filter. It sounds like the throttle is open even when I'm not on the pedal.

StevenJMcTowlie

Just pulled the TB off and double checked everything. What I found was that I had put the TPS on wrong. I noticed that it spins a certain direction and what I had done was put it on so it thought it was wide open. This time when I slid the TPS onto the end of the throttle blade I turned it the other way and re installed and that seems to have corrected it. I didn't realize there was a wrong way to put it back on. Feeling pretty dumb at the moment...

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

no need to feel dumb, you made a simple mistake but then went over your work on your own and figured it out... Not many can do that.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
StevenJMcTowlie

Thanks. I'm just glad I got it done. The car feels 10x better after all is said and done. I got a lot of response back and it also seems to have cleared up my intermittent pulse rev I was getting at idle. When I took out the IAC there was so much carbon built up where the pin closes that I doubt is was closing fully.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I'm going to have to do this on the 2.4 Twin Cam in my '97 Z-24 Cavalier. I recently got around to installing an adjustable fuel-pressure regulator I bought for it a couple of years ago, and shortly thereafter the idle started rising too high. I found a couple of leaks in the adjustable boost-control valve I put in for the turbo, but even after fixing those it didn't help. The AFPR blew-out the internal diaphragm a couple of weeks later (yeah, I am really impressed here -sure it sat around for a couple of years, but I inspected it and there were no indications of dry-rot, I'm running a base-level 0 psi supplementing the stock FPR, rising as manifold pressure exceeds atmospheric pressure under boost (so still single-digit or low double-digit psi) and this thing is supposedly rated to over 100 psi -right. It failed after maybe a dozen or so drives with the car.), so it came back off. But I'm still having the intermittently high idle, so I think the IAC is dirty or going bad. Grr.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26