Please help me.. I am finishing my '90 GTZ engine swap...

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
tvc3-gtz

Please help me.. I am finishing my '90 GTZ engine swap...

Post by tvc3-gtz »

Year: 1990
Make/Model: Cheverolet Beretta
Engine: Quad Four 2.3L DOHC
Trim: GTZ
Transmission: 5-speed
Mileage: (chassis + tranny) 118,000 + (replacement engine) 105,000

I need help. I cannot find where two of the plugs go to. I do not want to try to start it without everything being in place. Please check the pictures below I will highlight the parts I am having trouble with. If you see anything else out of the ordinary, please let me know.

I understand i still have to bolt the exhaust on and stuff, but I wanted to make sure everything was plugged in first. My ex-best friend at the shop really hack jobbed it. He didn't even put all the transmission bolts back in. Pain in the ass I ended up doing it myself, even though I had done stuff for him and he was supposed to do a good job on this car in return.

Anyways.. the plugs.. I hope I didn't miss something that will require me to take anything apart again. I just want this finished so I can register it and drive it.
Attachments
engine issues - put back toegether - (1).jpg
Last edited by tvc3-gtz on Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tvc3-gtz

Re: Please help me.. I am finishing my GTZ four engine swap.

Post by tvc3-gtz »

here are the other pics:
Attachments
engine issues - put back toegether - (6).jpg
engine issues - put back toegether - (5).jpg
engine issues - put back toegether - (4).jpg
engine issues - put back toegether - (3).jpg
engine issues - put back toegether - (2).jpg

tvc3-gtz

Re: Please help me.. I am finishing my GTZ four engine swap.

Post by tvc3-gtz »

and the rest of them:
Attachments
engine issues - put back toegether - (9).jpg
engine issues - put back toegether - (8).jpg
engine issues - put back toegether - (7).jpg

DOHC_tuner

Re: Please help me.. I am finishing my '90 GTZ engine swap..

Post by DOHC_tuner »

That purple wire goes to your oxygen sensor. Nevermind i just noticed the picture...its obviosuly coming from the sensor off the manifold. Just find a connector near the or around the driver side of the engine that will connect to that.

tvc3-gtz

Post by tvc3-gtz »

i checked everywhere. i cannot find where this plugs into.. im getting annoyed.

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

The yellow/purple wire looks like the wire used to go from the crank position sensor to the coils. Granted my knowledge is based off V6's but I imagine you'd have to have that for spark on the Quads too.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
tvc3-gtz

Post by tvc3-gtz »

Thanks! I ended up somehow by a miracle reaching below the intake manifold and getting that plug for the crank sensor to coil into place and snapped it in nicely. Now I am still trying to figure out where the bloody H the exhaust o2 sensor purple wire end goes to. I know where the sensor is, its right on the exhaust manifold, but where the blazes does it plug into on the engine. I have searched high and low but cannot find the plug for it... I'm frusterated as hell because I have a Haynes, Chiltons, and official 1990 chevy beretta service manual and NONE of them are telling me. Either I am a complete idiot, or I am missing something because I cannot seem to find this anywhere...

Also, a new plug thats missing a home (see pics below). I believe the plus are Green + Green/White
Attachments
another wire .. this is getting old - (3).jpg
another wire .. this is getting old - (2).jpg

tvc3-gtz

Post by tvc3-gtz »

im about to give up... i cannot find the f****** o2 sensor pigtail i have looked everywhere over over and over again.. without a pic im screwed. can i just run the damn thing without the 02 sensor?

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

That hardline looks like the vent for the trans. There should be one on the trans too near the top that gets connected to that one with a rubber hose.

That last 2-wire looks like an alternator hookup to me, or possibly AC compressor. Are either in that general area?

That o2 pigtail has to be somewhere. Is that o2 the original for the car and are you sure it came with a 1-wire stock? I know my 91 v6 came with a 1-wire and my 95 came with a heated 4-wire. Just throwing that out there. It will probably run without the o2.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
#1berettaman1991gtz

Post by #1berettaman1991gtz »

the plug by the by the heater hose in your hand goes to a coolant sensor on the thermostat housing or near it on the cylinder head.
o2 sensor plug is black with a black or a purple wire.

#1berettaman1991gtz

Post by #1berettaman1991gtz »

the second photo looks like your missing the powers steering bracket that bolt to the 2 holes on the transmission and the brake booster tube bolts to the bracket.

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

In answer to,your question, the engine will run without the oxygen sensor but it will trigger the SES light.
The oxygen sensor is used by the computer to fine tune the fuel mixture. Without input, the ECM will estimate
the mixture with info from other sensors.
Unless the wire is broken off at the wiring bundle loom, I don't understand why you can't find it.
They make the connectors so one will not plug into another unless they match. The one for the oxygen sensor fits inside that one in the picture.
Wrap your hand around the wiring loom and "feel" your way down for a wire and connector hanging out of the loom. Try both sides of the car, driver and passenger. I have a 96 so your car is probably different.
The loom is covered by a split plastic corrugated tube. Maybe the connector got pushed inside the split of the tube.
It's gotta be there somewhere.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

The pigtail for the O2 sensor SHOULD exit the loom near the ICM plug on the driver's side by the cylinder head. X2 on the 'new' two-wire plug going to the coolant temp plug -that is kind of a unique one for the Quad family. Yes, a one-wire O2 is stock for a Quad (and later 2.4 Twin Cams too, even the OBD2 cars %) use a one-wire in the manifold and a heated O2 post-cat). Since the connector is so slim, check to make sure it didn't get pulled back into the loom somehow. The connector may have been broken off too, if it was such a hack-job before you took over... Good luck.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
tvc3-gtz

Post by tvc3-gtz »

I ended up wiring it up, and thanks to all who helped, now just a few tinerkings and its ready for inspection/