speedo not working

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Money pit Beretta

Re: speedo not working

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I'm just about pointing a finger at the "chip" right now. I'm shocked that all this has gone wrong on a car with low miles.
Starting to think that these topics should merge, so my tired mind can keep track. Or I'm just lazy.

keep'em flying!
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I'm wondering if the speedo is physically stuck, from corrosion and such. I'm also wondering about the electrical grounds on your instruments, considering other issues you've had. It is also very possible that your car has been chewed on by rodents -some wiring damage would explain a lot of your issues. Overall, it really doesn't sound bad, just some TLC... I have a used tested-good VSS right here if you end up going that route. They run ~ $36 from Rock Auto, or about $44 from local parts-stores, plus shipping/taxes/whatever, for an aftermarket unit. I would do $25 shipped, if you are interested.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Money pit Beretta

Did he quit the site? All his posts are gone.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

http://beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23131

Read here... Its because the spam was so bad a mass group of users were just deleted... as I noted when it started it was getting too deep to filter through stuff.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
meeksberetta

Post by meeksberetta »

Im still here, had to re-register..3x00 I got your PM thank you for the help. I figured out lastnight its def my TCC solenoid. I guess since my car has the 125 3 speed trans. hardly nobody carries the part. I had to order from the dealership, suppose to have it in tomorrow and that should fix it :). Today my speedo worked all day LOL... I think my car is possessed. Im gonna check my VSS. I didn't think my car had a VSS, it looks like a cable that goes from the tranny to the firewall which I thought was a speedo cable. Ill let ya know all what I find. I had new tires put on it yesterday, pulled the TCC today and new front pads and rotors, and adjusted the rear brakes and fixed my parking brake. Its been a Beretta day that's fo sure..

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Your car DOES have a VSS -it is on the rear of the trans on the far left (driver's side). It has two wires going in to it (yellow and purple -do not mistake this sensor for the crankshaft position sensor in the middle rear of the engine block that also has yellow and a purple wires going to it %) ). It looks roundish, about two inches in diameter, with a rectangular panel an inch or so wide on the side of it that the wires plug into. That cable you are seeing is the shift-select, or 'PRND21' cable. Your VSS is below and out-board of that. Happy hunting! :)

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
meeksberetta

Post by meeksberetta »

gotcha .. thank yoh reatta. i.installed a new TCC solenoid and.changed the trans fluid and filter so i.think i got my trans issues fixed. the speedo is next on the list..

Forgot to add... I also put new front brakes and rotors and tuned her up... been busy LOL
Last edited by meeksberetta on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Money pit Beretta

Nice progress, you must have a warm place to work on it.

keep'em flying!
meeksberetta

Post by meeksberetta »

lol.. no, the weather has been nice past couple days but turning cold tomorrow, I had to get it done today..

Money pit Beretta

I know what you are talking about. I have use of a garage, but it's not much better than the outside. The walls and doors leak cold air and anything else that can blow in the wind.

keep'em flying!
Rodville

speedo not working

Post by Rodville »

I had this happen to my 90GT the speedo stopped working and the car wouldn't shift out of first because the BCM didn't know how fast I was going. It was the VSS on mine. It seized and the trans tore up the plastic gear on it. I will post a pic later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: Here is the pic of my VSS when it was pulled from the trans.
Last edited by Rodville on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meeksberetta

Post by meeksberetta »

I replaced the TCC solenoid and its been driving great so far. Thank you for the pic that would be great. My speedo works off an on. When it starts to quit working it will slowly drop off on the speed and usually settles around 25mph for some reason

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

That could even be a wiring problem, like insulation worn off and shorting out, or an issue inside the cluster itself. If you can't find any other solution, I might have some extra speedometer parts I would be willing to sell...

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26