Trivia question!

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Smitty

Trivia question!

Post by Smitty »

First, shout out to DUBS GW for the fast delivery on the parts! Thank you man! Next is a silly question. I bought the parking brake handle because mine was broken at the button and wouldn't work. Easy enough, I thought. Just get another and replace it right? Well he sent one that had a metal rod inside and my stock one has a plastic rod. Both use a different size spring. Question-is there certain years that will not work on others as far as ebrake handles? I have tried to wrap my brain around this and I just don't see how I can make it work. I thought I would ask as I might be missing the obvious. Any thoughts? Mine is a 95 base v6.

Smitty

Re: Trivia question!

Post by Smitty »

The parts are not interchangable, I have gone over it but going to do it again tomorrow just to be sure. Might just have to get a generic aftermarket handle, not sure.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Wow, that is strange. I have(?) a '95 Z-26, and IIRC I had to replace the plastic 'j'=shaped internal parts because one side where the button clips in had broken when I swapped-in a black center-console. I had a similar issue with one of my older Berettas ('89-'90), and it was the same plastic piece. So, unless there was a mid-production change that they changed back again (like the door-mounted/pillar-mounted/door-mounted again seat-belts), I have found this part to be the same throughout except for '87, '88, and maybe '96 which I haven't taken apart, and none had a metal rod in it. Do you have a pic of it?

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Good idea, let me see if I can take some and post this weekend.

yellow3800

Post by yellow3800 »

I ran into this once just on curiosity. I would GUESS, [sorry no good info from me] that the '88-'90 interior change to the newer style caused that insert to also change. I'd say it must be had from the later model years.

too bad that the pull it yards are not holding our cars as they age. Its time to get the parts manual and start cross-referencing.

DUBS28

Trivia question!

Post by DUBS28 »

I have since been to the yard again and got a lot of the plastic style replacements. I've broken two myself in the past few months doing interior swaps so I figured I had better stock up. If you still need one Smitty I would be happy to send you one free of charge for the initial mix up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GW Bancroft (on FB)
'91 Black GTZ
'93 Quasar GT 5-Speed (Under Construction)
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

UPDATE! Went to a junk yard that advertised having a Beretta and found another brake handle assembly. Just took the old one off and confirmed what Dubs said earlier-it is a simple plastic replacement part that snaps into the spring and holds the button to the brake lever. The brake handle is on more or less a cover. Now I just have to figure out why it's not catching. Can you tell I have no mechanical expertise? lol

Don't worry Dubs, it's all good. A nice learning experience, at least I am having fun with all this. So it's cool, no sweat :)