Air bag Light

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
davbell25413

Air bag Light

Post by davbell25413 »

I have a air bag on from what I been its clock spring under the steering wheel. How hard is it to adjust or is it adjustable being a 1994 car?

1994 Chevy Beretta Z26
3.1L
4T60E 4 speed automatic
16in aluminum factory wheels
Rettax3

Re: Air bag Light

Post by Rettax3 »

I have never heard of anyone 'adjusting' any part of the SiRS (airbag). I do not believe any part of it is serviceable at all, in any year, Beretta or otherwise. I do have an un-needed '95 airbag, but shipping it is somewhere between or including prohibited and problematic. I don't recall if I have that yellow whatever inside the column still or not. Mine is from my '95 Z-26, I don't think there were changes between '94 and '95... At the age these things are becoming, how trustworthy are they anyway? Does anyone know what the service-life is supposed to be on the SiRS?

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
davbell25413

Post by davbell25413 »

The Gm service manual says the clock spring can be adjusted if its not pointing/sitting in certain spot. A new clock spring assy is $200 in aftermarket.

1994 Chevy Beretta Z26
3.1L
4T60E 4 speed automatic
16in aluminum factory wheels
yellow3800

Post by yellow3800 »

I have done this:

-found that law only requires ALL vehicles a 10yr guarantee on SRS operation. After that, manufacturer is off the hook, accident failure or otherwise.

-computers [airbag main] blows when deploying airbag. so if there is history, plan on this being shot.

-a broken clock spring, spiral cable can be fixed when "not servicable" is on the pack in the steering wheel. It often occurs when chafing causes an open in the circuit. this also blows like a fuse in deployment, or sometimes does.

-Airbag circuits can be bit more a maze then our engine diagnostics troubleshooting because ONE open in the circuit will set the light.

I do believe once corrected the light should terminate. don't quote me on this. ...versus the opinion it must be terminated with a special computer... I'll tell you after I fix these, the light goes out for me - no computer reset needed.

If you suspect this 20' long coil spring ribbon cable wire in the steering wheel, go for it. expect a slinky snake that explodes from the can when you open the pack it is housed in. I'd simply give the cable a visual lookover, and verify with ohm meter before/after, doesn't matter which to verify continuity between wires. When you find an open, simply strip the ribbon cable and solder a jumper wire 1" or so should do it of equal diameter, and that should do it.

now my .02. I only do this when Im turning cars to sell if its important. after 10yrs, I go by the law standard that it doesn't matter and remove the light, or just not care that its on, letting the buyer get a negotiation point that I will concede [and plan for].

Since Ralph Nader made the big push to help us help ourselves stop dying from seatbelt-less deaths in accidents, I see no need for airbags, so I would remove it, remove the bulb, and lighten the car by removing the parts everytime they got in my way when working on something. I always wear my belt and thats that. Now side bags I wouldn't do this, but I don't own a side bag vehicle, which I do think is cool, because belts don't help on side impact directly. I view it as "if its there, leave it. If its not there, leave it" I would not put '96 airbags in an '88 just because newer is better would you?

hope this helps.