Ignition Lock Cylinder

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
1988GTU

Re: Ignition Lock Cylinder

Post by 1988GTU »

It's a cast aluminum piece. Welding will not be a great idea. Will not last IF it does even take.

I wouldnt not trust a radio shop to install (as I mention very similar above).

The link I provided cancels out the moving part.

_________
-------------
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

1988GTU wrote:It's a cast aluminum piece. Welding will not be a great idea. Will not last IF it does even take.
Rettax3 wrote: All I can say is good luck, because that is a hard part to find, and it CANNOT be repaired with any expectation of reliability.
It is basically pot-metal, and once broken, it is trash. The only thing it is good for now is as a basis of comparison if you need to modify an automatic version (as in the link I posted, and they apparently ARE still available) or for a similar part sourced from another vehicle, like say a pre-'95 J-body.

To do away with the whole setup all together, maybe use an electrical ignition switch from a '95+ J-body, as they don't uses the push/pull rod assembly -the lock turns the ignition switch directly at the top of the column- but you might have to do some fancy wire mods to get everything to plug in correctly. So far as the push-button-start, one of my cars has that, and I actually really like it. I'll try to snap a pic of it soon here for you. But, I still have to have the ignition key turned on before the car will run, even if the 'Engine Start' button gets pushed without the key. And that car has a start-inhibit anti-theft system, so it won't run without the key anyway... You could always just extend the wires to the ignition switch and make something to actuate it, or just keep reaching under the dash to turn the car on and off, but it seems like it would be a lot simpler to just find a correct(ish) replacement part... :unknown:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

Okay so I got a hold of the snap on pivot pin puller. Pins came out easy. Didn't really need to but it did allow more room to work once the tilt column was pushed away a bit.

Now to buy a automatic piece and modify it, then play Legos and figure out how to put everything back together.

I know a guy that can make a custom piece for us. I just gotta send him one so he can copy it.