rad temp to high with a/c on

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Red_Bra_Black_GTZ

rad temp to high with a/c on

Post by Red_Bra_Black_GTZ »

on my way to bfest, the sun and temp was 95 deg F, the a/c on max, the engine water temp would go higher then the normal i am used to. if i stoped and popped the hood, the level went down pretty fast. i put my hand behind the twin rad fans i have and it was to hot for me to leave my hand there. the heat coming off the engine compartment was very high/hot. i have original 1990 rad, a/c condensor and evaporator. i also added a oil cooler in front.
the a/c clutch is clicking in and out.

the car is at my garage, they will perform a rad flush/test. they will also do a a/c vaccum/test.

i think i need a wider or deeper rad that can handle the heat from the high reving i do.

any model numbers would help.

Money pit Beretta

Re: rad temp to high with a/c on

Post by Money pit Beretta »

The flush is a good idea and should help some. That I know of all the radiators are the same on these cars. You would have to go custom, if there is room that is.

keep'em flying!
jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

my 95 Z26 does the same thing with the 3100. I have a rad from a 96 corsica that was bought new from napa in 2010. rad came with engine and tranny i picked up on craigslist 3 years ago for 250.00. owner even gave me the napa receipt for the rad with a lifetime warranty.
I am still running my original 95 rad. did a little research on rockauto's website,and i get 2 different part numbers, CU1610,and CU1515. they are spectra performance rads. the one for the corsica is like 3.00 more,emailed summit racing and they had both rads,same part #'s. I asked what where the differences,and they emailed me back saying the hose hook-ups are in different locations. I will have to pull the corsica rad out of my shed today to check,but i would think they would be the same.i know the bottom rad hose from the corsica is the same,i still have it too.maybe the tranny lines are in different locations. thoughts?????

Money pit Beretta

The only thing I can think of is L4 vs V6. Other than where the hoses go the radiator is the same. I don't spend much time looking at L4 radiators.

keep'em flying!
jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

L4 meaning 4 cylinder engine? the part# for my 95 beretta was CU1515 or CU1610 and the 2 different rads are like 2 or 3 bucks in the difference.only thing i can think of is they changed the part# in 96 for the corsica,but why? for 2 or 3 bucks more on each one they sell. wow big profits...

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

96 the drivers side port is halfway down the side tank, the 95 it's at the top. Not sure why they changed the layout but they did.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Red_Bra_Black_GTZ

Post by Red_Bra_Black_GTZ »

update, the issue may of been simple. the previous mods i made to the rad fan; the signal to turn it on/off from the computer was disconnected. the fan was connected directly to a new sensor installed in the block. so when the a/c was on, the fan would not come on till the block reached it set point. a/c signal has been fixed. now i need to road test it.

jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

3X00-Modified wrote:96 the drivers side port is halfway down the side tank, the 95 it's at the top. Not sure why they changed the layout but they did.

hey 3X00-Modified? driver's side port? top rad hose port or tranny line port? will everything still reach the ports on the 96 rad? I have not even begun to look yet to how hard it is to swap out,I do know the A/C component is mounted to the rad with brackets and they will need to be swapped out,my A/C blows cold,so no need to disturb that.

jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

Red_Bra_Black_GTZ wrote:update, the issue may of been simple. the previous mods i made to the rad fan; the signal to turn it on/off from the computer was disconnected. the fan was connected directly to a new sensor installed in the block. so when the a/c was on, the fan would not come on till the block reached it set point. a/c signal has been fixed. now i need to road test it.

well on mine if the A/C is on the fan runs all the time,I would think with the fan running constantly it would run cooler,not!!! maybe because i am still running my original 19 year old rad that is partly blocked,air in the system,intake gasket change time again,or what i believe,my gauge is off a tad.also when the gauge does show danger zone i shut it down and crack pressure cap,and it farts and burps loud for like 10 seconds,gauge drops down to normal and i'm good to go.

Within the last year,car got new metal tube heater core,new pressure cap,new thermostat,new antifreeze,new waterpump 2X. one 2 weeks ago,previous waterpump only lasted 3 years and started leaking,new one was free,with warranty.Advance Tough One waterpump.

Money pit Beretta

3X00-Modified wrote:96 the drivers side port is halfway down the side tank, the 95 it's at the top. Not sure why they changed the layout but they did.
Now I know what to look out for.

Sounds like you are getting air in the system Jeff. Damn those LIMGs, changed mine twice.

keep'em flying!
jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

Money pit Beretta wrote:
Now I know what to look out for.

Sounds like you are getting air in the system Jeff. Damn those LIMGs, changed mine twice.

Changed mine out with 99,000 miles on the original motor,then it started knocking,had antifreeze in the oil, replaced engine with a 3100 out of a 96 corsica. guy on craigslist sold me the engine,tranny,rad with receipt,napa alternator with receipt,new douglas 14" tire on stock steel wheel,to bad because i'm running my original 16" wheels,possibly put in trunk for spare rather than donut spare.all for 250.00,changed the engine out august will be 3 years.
the 96 corsica engine had 131000 on it 3 years ago,my odometer read 99,985 miles,today my odometer reads 142,345.so the engine has 173,000 give or take a few.
Body and paint are holding up super,black rose.
have the infamous waterleak when it rains,cut out the carpet on the driver's side,front and back,added a 1/4" drain plug behind driver's seat,put down a shammy,and then just wring it out.my windshield is cracked straight across,could that be my leak? drips right by my gas and brake pedals and runs to the rear floor,right by my drain plug,will replace my carpet when certain leak is fixed,keeping an eye on my floor for now,still very solid.

found head gaskets,(upper and lower intake gaskets,egr gasket,valve seals,valve cover gaskets seller used).on craigslist for 15.00 but they are the plastic version,told seller no thanks,if i attempt to do the job again,will get the new metal felpro version,this time no antifreeze in my oil.do notice a little wet spot around the rear of the thermostat area(external leak) but not bad yet. also this 96 engine has the roller rockers.sorry for the hijack.rambling!

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

It's the coolant port that's halfway down, Look on rockauto and look at the photos. If you get a 96 upper radiator hose it will fit fine.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

3X00-Modified wrote:It's the coolant port that's halfway down, Look on rockauto and look at the photos. If you get a 96 upper radiator hose it will fit fine.

ok thanks,will the 96 rad allow it to run a bit cooler? just came back from a 60 mile trip,A/C blowing cold the whole way,temp did manage to get just below the H.popped hood after 30 miles,relieved pressure from cap,not much burbing required,released pressure via pressure bleeder,pure antireeze no air.the 30 miles return trip the gauge stayed at 3/4.and that was going 75+ mph.maybe swapping out rad will allow it run a bit cooler,planning a 700 mile one way road trip.car loves the highway,she likes to go fast.she is so content at 75+ mph.I was also thinking new cooling fan motor.Do these cooling fans run at different speeds,or when they are running they are full blast? maybe mine is getting tired.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The radiator itself will not change the temp that it runs at I was just outlining the difference between 95 and 96 and why there are two PN's. I've never had temp issues with my cars and that includes when I drove it cross country to bfest 2013. I'm running a 180* thermostat vs the stock 195, that is my only difference.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

3X00-Modified wrote:The radiator itself will not change the temp that it runs at I was just outlining the difference between 95 and 96 and why there are two PN's. I've never had temp issues with my cars and that includes when I drove it cross country to bfest 2013. I'm running a 180* thermostat vs the stock 195, that is my only difference.

I am from the northeast,moved to the south to Tn.in 2006.it is alot hotter down here than up north,maybe switching to a 180 degree thermostat would be best for me.what does your gauge read on the highway at 75 mph after about 30 minutes?I had to pull my cluster and needles about a year ago,that's why i believe my gauge reads a tad off.i would also think running just below H would cause it to boilover.

pulled the rad from the shed,damn it looks good,flushed it out,for a 1 year old rad it still had alot of dirt and bugs in the fins.guy i bought it from lived on a dirt road internally it flushed very clean.it is the 96 version,and also found the top hose to it dated 07.so when i changed my motor i must have replaced the stock top hose.going to replace the rad tonight,keep ya posted,may change rad and thermostat out at the same time,changed thermostat last year to a 195 degree.