Motor pooped!

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Smitty

Motor pooped!

Post by Smitty »

Driving tonight the motor developed a serious clacking noise and loss of power. I was able to get home and since it's dark I couldn't see any visible leaks. The motor wouldn't smoke any. It started just fine when I left, but I swore as I drove more I could hear a faint tapping-just my imagination I thought. Then I tried to give it some gas and I knew something was wrong. Wouldn't run up to redline like it should. Then the noise became louder.

No check engine light. The oil was fine yesterday when I gassed it up. Now the engine would start to heat up if it just sat at the light. The oil pressure won't go above the first mark . Not looking good, going to go through the archives and see what I can find. Wish me luck!

Stencil
Administrator

Re: Motor pooped!

Post by Stencil »

What engine/year we talking here?

-Aaron
'92 Beretta GTZ 2.3L 5M - Undergoing "unibody off" restoration ATM (almost done!)
'93 Beretta GT "MISEREE" 3.1 5M
'95 Beretta Base DGGM 2.2 5M
'96 Beretta "FAUXZ26" 2.2 5M
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Oops sorry. It's a 95 base with the V6 and 61,000 miles. Got to check the oil and coolant levels-both good but the oil looks dirty with only 3000 miles on it? Starts right up but man I am afraid to drive it anywhere with that loud knocking noise, seems to come from the top end from just underneath the valve covers but I am in way over my head, lol.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Probably broke the camshaft... BUT to verify when you mean oil pressure wont go above the first mark do you mean it wont go up from zero, or wont go over the first 1/4 tick mark? When the cam breaks the oil pump stops getting power and pressure dies completely as well as some of the cylinders will die out as well creating a tapping sound from pistons hitting valves as well as lack of oil running thorough the engine.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
RobertISaar

Post by RobertISaar »

i've heard of some late 3400 heads with the smaller rocker bolts pulling the threads out of the head, i don't know how likely that would be with 95 3100 heads though.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

95 3100 were typically the large thread stud's with the stamped rockers, I don't remember hearing any of those with that issue.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Got the diagnoses late this afternoon-the engine threw a bearing. Mechanic said given the make and model it wouldn't be worth trying to tear into the engine for a rebuild and that it was basically a wash. He's a good mechanic and I trust him. I didn't argue what he said especially knowing what was wrong with the rest of the car.

Leaks into the drivers side and trunk (I tried to fix both but no luck). The rear subframe was rusted bad. Even the front was a problem-tried to take it into a Firestone dealership a couple weeks ago but had to bring it back a second time as they had to just spray it down with penetrating oil and said give it 2 days then bring it back for the aligment. The aligment was done and I even bought some new tires because the originals were 14 years old and worn out in places from the needed aligment. I thought it ran great now that it drove straight. The dreaded drivers side window trim was worn and torn with no hope for replacement. Heck the radio couldn't hold any presets after a couple of months after I had a new power wire ran into the engine bay.

Basically, I am going to get rid of the car as I just don't have it in me anymore to keep at it. But 3x00 did bring up a good point, I might ask him to just double check for me. Then it wold be the perfect time to throw in a bigger cam if it was a broken camshaft!

:D

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Sorry to hear about your woes with the car -I have only rarely gotten to a point with a car that I've had to give up on it, and it is a sad occasion. From your OP, I had figured a spun bearing -usually if the rear main goes out, oil pressure is tanked. But the sounds you described is typical rod-bearing. Too bad another car has to go out because of something like this, but as you say, there are a lot of other issues as well. Will you be parting the car out, or just hauling it off? It would be good to at least get some of your money back out of the tires... Auto or manual trans? (Was there even an option for a V-6 five-speed in '95, I don't remember...)

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Lespaul59

Post by Lespaul59 »

Hey Rettax3, I really need to get a digital dash soon.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Lespaul59 wrote:Hey Rettax3, I really need to get a digital dash soon.
Sorry -working on it. PM sent.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26