How to remove the steering wheel with airbag?

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Dwnld

How to remove the steering wheel with airbag?

Post by Dwnld »

So my car is Beretta GT 1993. V6 engine and automatic transmission if it matters in this case...

Anyway the problem is that I can't turn brights on or off anymore, except if I take a screwdriver or something similar and manually press that push-button switch. I'm not sure what's broken but it just doesn't work by lifting cruise control arm like it should.

I presume that remove of the steering wheel is required. Normally I would just disassemble that whole thing but there is an airbag, and currently I like my life as it is... So what is correct (safe) way to remove the steering wheel without triggering the airbag? Do I have to remove some wires or just be careful? Or not care about it at all?

Edit because reasons.

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Re: How to remove the steering wheel with airbag?

Post by heavywoody »

Sounds like the switch needs to be adjusted. You don't need to remove the airbag for this.

Drop the steering column to gain access to the switch (it's on the upper left of the steering column).

Once you see the mechanism, it should be pretty straight forward to adjust.

Oh, if you want to disconnect the airbag just to be safe, disconnect your battery first, then unplug the yellow plug under the steering column.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
weba

Post by weba »

It's a yellow plug with green safety-pin that you need to pull out first :) Anyhow this is all piece of cake.

Dwnld

Post by Dwnld »

Well, I'll try to check it. Last time I looked at it, I thought that removing the steering wheel should be enough but I didn't do it because airbag. Repair manual says anyway that "take the vehicle to a dealer" because messing with it could cause it to not work at collision etc. But thanks for the tips, I'll look again when I have some free time.

Dwnld

Post by Dwnld »

Finally I had some inspiration or what ever to take a photo...
So this is it under covers. Which bolts (red or white) I should remove? Or all of them or something else? ._.

I haven't removed it already 'cause I didn't wanna do it outside the garage (weather is a problem). If my plans won't change, I can do it next week.
steering.jpg
Also, is there something else I should note when dropping it down?

whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

The switch Woody described is the white one on the left of the steering column actually.

Loosen the bolts / screws and pull the switch forwards more, then tighten it back up. You should regain your ability to use your brights if this switch was moved back too bar.

I've done this on a '93 Century before, pretty easy fix.

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

removing just the red circled bolts should drop the steering column, it will still be attached by the U joint at the end and it will just hang down some. You should be able to see the high beam switch when you do this as well as adjust it from there.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Dwnld

Post by Dwnld »

Yeah I managed to adjust that thing. It was easy once I managed to loosen the two bolts, it was pretty easy. I didn't have to touch on the steering column thing after all.

Biggest problem was getting my hands, some light and tools to turn those damn things. Not much room to do anything there.

Thanks for help though.