Should I have 2 coolant temp sensors on an 88 2.8 mpfi

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
CorvetteBeretta

Re: Should I have 2 coolant temp sensors on an 88 2.8 mpfi

Post by CorvetteBeretta »

OK I think I found my problem so I traced the temp sensor wires all the way from the sensor to the firewall they are perfect! So I disconnected my ecu and found a bent prong that was not going into the harness. JACKPOT! I haven't tested it yet cuz my cluster is in my house, I will let u know what happens but it was for a grey wire so I'm assuming that was it. Thank you to everyone who helped this is a huge load off my mind it was driving me crazy!

Question do you think having no temp sensor registering would make it hard to start cold? It literally takes like 2 mins to start when its cold just keeps turning but once its been running it starts right away. I know my fuel filter is in desperate need of changing but I don't know if that would cause it.

Beretta Forum Kicks A$$

CorvetteBeretta

Car starts now first turn of key! Exhaust smells normal now, fan is not running constantly anymore , throttle response is exceptional, engine light is off and temp gauge works!! wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo problem solved this is the reason I took the car off the road over 3 years ago..

Now the bad a code 44 came up for o2 sensor could this be because of the cam or the sensor went bad from running with no temp sensor?

Oil pressure gauge is blinking on the cluster with no reading I guess it's bad

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

With the car running with no temp sensor it was constantly flooding the engine... So I'm willing to bet that could have easily killed the o2 sensor... or at least its covered in soot which would make it register incorrectly.

And I'd double check that oil pressure sending unit quick just to make sure it does have good pressure.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
CorvetteBeretta

Oil pressure switch has been moved to my top priority then I will remove the o2 sensor and have a look. I cant wait to drive it again, see if this solves my staling when I come to a stop issue. This is crazy this car has been running like crap al this time because of this. I'm the Biggest Loser here, I removed that computer like 5 years ago even before my motor was built. I'm so happy now I'm going to finally finish this car. My old man always used to bug me about never finishing this car, I wish he was still here to see the day...

Thanks again to everyone that helped me

SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

What Jon said. He's spot on about the sensors.

CorvetteBeretta

3X00-Modified wrote:With the car running with no temp sensor it was constantly flooding the engine... So I'm willing to bet that could have easily killed the o2 sensor... or at least its covered in soot which would make it register incorrectly.

And I'd double check that oil pressure sending unit quick just to make sure it does have good pressure.
I just noticed even with the key turned on (not running) the oil gauge blinks so I'm assuming I have a broken wire or messed up sensor. I have checked over my entire wire harness from both firewalls to the air box/battery area so I just need to finish the rest. Also just got my o2 sensor plus oil pressure sensor.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

It blinks because there is no oil pressure... That's how it's supposed to grab your attention.

So if you've replaced the sensor don't rule out that it's fixed until you've started the car.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
CorvetteBeretta

Sensor is not changed yet (the life of having 2 children) LOL. My wife goes to Europe for 3 months soon with the kids, then every day is Beretta day... :Yahoo!:

I'm going to swap the sensor later today along with the o2 sensor. My ICM, coil packs and plug wires are out of the car as of now so I cant start it. I just finished making my plug wires and putting on new coil pack gotta put it back in and finish inspecting the rest of the wiring. I will let you know the outcome when I'm done.

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

My 88 Beretta had a temp sensor on the lower intake manifold by the mechanical thermostat, it was 2 wires.

There was also a single wire temp sensor in the heads on the corner of cylinder #6.
If you do not have this single wire sensor, there should be a plug in its place.

CorvetteBeretta

Mine has a plug I don't have that sensor cuz I have a digital dash